Clutch replacement problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2012, 10:07 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Clutch replacement problem

I previously posted this in the drive line section but it didn't receive any response; I'm hoping more people will have a chance to view it under general discussion.

Here is the back story. 1997 F250, 4wd, 5 spd, 136000 mi: I replaced the dual mass flywheel with a solid flywheel clutch kit form brute power part number (90636SK). The clutch I removed was in perfect shape ó almost brand new ó only the Dual mass flywheel was getting week. Main seal was not leaking, so I didn't replace it; no oil on the old clutch either. driving it Immediately after the replacement there is a shudder in the clutch when starting from a stop, and a hard down shift. This was not a problem with the original clutch. I contacted the supplier and Brute Power who denied that the problem was in their parts, excusing it as worn spring shackles, motor mounts, oil or grease on the mating surfaces ó basically anything except their kit.

I have been driving it in this condition for about a month now and it seems to be getting worse. In the mean time I notice that the truck does not shake side to side , which would be indicative of spring shackles and or motor mounts, but lurches forward as the clutch grabs and slips, until I completely release the clutch pedal. This tells me that there is a high spot on one of the components in this kit.

While trying to get the supplier to honor the warranty, they deny there is anything wrong with the kit. The only way they will do anything, is if I remove the clutch and send it in so the manufacturer can inspect it, and if they determine it is a warranty issue then they will send a replacement. This leaves me vulnerable to them not honoring their warranty once the parts are out of my hands. This policy also leaves me without a truck until they make a decision; of coarse, the supplier offered to let me purchase another clutch kit and swap out the old one, before I send it in for warranty review. This sounds like one good kit for the price of two. If I have to buy another kit It will be from someone else not the same supplier.

My questions are:

Is there anything I should look for externally from the clutch that will cause these symptoms?

And, Has anybody else had experience using a Brute Powers clutch kit?

If I purchase another kit, what is a safe, affordable, stock horsepower option?

Thanks in advance for your input,
Andrew
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2012, 10:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The Napa clutches are pretty good ( I think they are Sachs or Luk), but Luk it a great one. My suggestion is to buy more clutch than you think you will need as if you add more power later your clutch will already be done.

Did you break in the clutch? What about checking your pedal rod bushing on your clutch?
Old 10-17-2012, 10:47 AM

That's good to know because Napa is the only parts store around. And, can you describe a clutch break in?
Old 10-17-2012, 11:27 AM

what kind of clutch lining did you get? if it is ceramic or kevlar they will grab a lot harder and feel jerky. also were the clutch components super clean prior to install? they come with a covering of oil on them that needs to be cleaned off.

other than that i can only suggest going with a quality clutch that has a good reputation and thanks for the heads up about the poor customer service
Old 10-17-2012, 11:27 AM

breaking in a clutch?: Grassroots Motorsports forum: Grassroots Motorsports Magazine
Old 10-17-2012, 06:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

+1 on the coating on the pressure plate surface. I always clean the surface with brake clean before install.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:41 AM

glovemeister,
I didn't do anything special, just normal driving. I've maybe put 300 or so miles on it, and it doesn't seem to be improving, and if anything it is getting worse.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:52 AM

Desertdeer,

I don't know what the lining is. Itís not specified and I haven't been able to verify anything with a search; Iíll call them and ask. The kit came complete with the flywheel and I had a qualified trusted mechanic install it. I asked about oil on the surface first off; he assured me that all the surfaces are clean of grease and oil; he wouldn't have me pursue a warranty claim if he thought there was some other problem.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:45 AM
Banned

still has dmf right??? Sounds like the dmv to me.

Always buy components from a good manufacturer.. never even heard of brute.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85_305 View Post
still has dmf right??? Sounds like the dmv to me.

Always buy components from a good manufacturer.. never even heard of brute.
Yes, I know! I know!

Brute power is sold by Perfection clutch. If what you mean by dmf is dual mass flywheel, then no, the kit is a conversion to a solid flywheel; it came complete with flywheel, pressure plate, clutch plate, cover, and throw-out bearing.
I'm probably going to remove this kit and send it back for a refund and apply for a labor claim.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.