E4OD - Strange shift issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 05:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question E4OD - Strange shift issues

I have a 96 OBS with the wonderful E4OD tranny. I am having two problems;

As the truck shifts from 2 to 3 , it seems like it half shifts and then hits third. The truck still feels like its in a gear (cant tell if the clutches are slipping) in the half shift... any thoughts?

From what Ive read this tranny has a "limp" mode. I have had times when my tranny goes into limp but I dont get any codes. The shift points drop way low and it just bogs, but never left me stranded. Now it is popping out of gear after going 60 mph for a while, but then if I shift it to neutral and back to drive a couple times it drops back in.

I bought the truck used but I'm not sure if its the original tranny. The torque converter did not have the drain plug and looked fresh. 175K on the truck. I changed the fluid and I figured it will get better or worse, but nothing changed with the issues I've been having. I did notice the shifter/electrical connector at the tyranny was recently replaced. Probably not OEM.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2012, 05:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

When is does this, does your O/D light blink on/off? What rpm and speed range do the symptoms occur in? Is it at the point where the T/C begins to lock, or before that?
It could really be a variety of things. Hard to tell until more information is given. My gut is telling me low line pressure due to valve body or pump issues.

On edit: Do you have a trans temp guage?
Old 10-15-2012, 06:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I was having goofy tranny issues with my '96, although they weren't as severe as yours but as strange as it sounds it was all related to a burned out 3rd brake light.

I know it sounds crazy. When I was searching the various forums last year for possible solutions to my shifting issues, I spotted this fix. I wasn't even aware that my light was out. When I replaced the bulb, I just shook my head thinking that there was no way this was going to matter.

I'll be dipped in... it worked.

Don't know why or how. Don't care.

Anyway, easy to check and cheap to fix. Your results may vary

Tom
Old 10-16-2012, 01:34 AM

Third brake light is wired into the same circuit that controls torque convertor lock/unlock. If the bulb is burnt, the circuit is broken and the t.c. will not lockup.
Doesn't sound like the issue the o.p. is having, but it's worth a shot.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdude View Post
I have a 96 OBS with the wonderful E4OD tranny. I am having two problems;

As the truck shifts from 2 to 3 , it seems like it half shifts and then hits third. The truck still feels like its in a gear (cant tell if the clutches are slipping) in the half shift... any thoughts?

From what Ive read this tranny has a "limp" mode. I have had times when my tranny goes into limp but I dont get any codes. The shift points drop way low and it just bogs, but never left me stranded. Now it is popping out of gear after going 60 mph for a while, but then if I shift it to neutral and back to drive a couple times it drops back in.

I bought the truck used but I'm not sure if its the original tranny. The torque converter did not have the drain plug and looked fresh. 175K on the truck. I changed the fluid and I figured it will get better or worse, but nothing changed with the issues I've been having. I did notice the shifter/electrical connector at the tyranny was recently replaced. Probably not OEM.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Sounds like typical e4OD shift strategy on stock programming to me. These trannies naturally short shift and lock their tc's up a lot.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

More info

Today she slipped out of overdrive and into what seemed like a slipping 3rd. The o/d light sometimes comes on and sometimes does not. A couple drops into neutral and she drops back into O/D. There have been times when shes drops totally out of gear, I have pulled over, shut down the truck, and unplugged the connector at the shift linkage and plugged it back in and shes fine. I have totally cleaned the connector, so it should be making good contact. I also noticed my speedo bouncing a fine amount, maybe a couple miles an hour. I cant imagine that would be enough to cause this. My big concern id for my rear diff. She shifts hard a lot.

I Have a few other things that may be part of the problem. don't know.

I have noticed that on the cold mornings now I don't get a wait to start light. I already disconnected the fuel bowl heater and my fuse is good. Once it warms up the wait to start light starts working. PCM?

Uggh........
Old 10-17-2012, 08:11 PM

Location: In the midwest (I travel a lot so it varies between South Dakota and Nebraska and the midwest)
Umm....VSS sensor? Since you mentioned your speedo being erradic, this is where I would look. Yes, this sensor is also a pretty important one for your tranny so make sure it's good at your rearend. It sends a lot of signals to different components such as a PCM and etc..

Originally, I was going to mention the neutral safety switch that is usually found on the gear selector of the transmission. Sorry I can't remember the formal name of them now but they basically take the information of what gear they are in (manually from the transmission) and send an electronic signal to the PCM and so on. So, when these go bad and again, start sending erradic signals to various components (the trans), then weird things happen. But usually, it will send codes to your O/D switch. I had a Windstar that would lose 3rd and 4th due to this switch being out. Once I would change the switch, everything would be good. They just sometimes go bad. I don't know why.

I am with Backwoods also and the other person that mentioned the 3rd brake light (good call). Stupid things like that that can just make you scratch your head.

Also, since you're plugging and unplugging your big connector repeatedly, I would take a mirror and check out the pins in the trans and make sure they're good and also check out the connector pins to make sure they're good as well. Maybe there's a reason that by you repeatedly unplugging this connector and replugging it in it fixes your issue for a short time. I don't know. Then, I would recommend some dielectric grease in the connector to aid with conductivity and keeping out moisture and so on.

Outside of that, I would hate to say that it sounds like the inevitable is starting to happen. And I don't need to tell you what that is. I'm crossing my fingers for ya.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdude View Post
Today she slipped out of overdrive and into what seemed like a slipping 3rd. The o/d light sometimes comes on and sometimes does not. A couple drops into neutral and she drops back into O/D. There have been times when shes drops totally out of gear, I have pulled over, shut down the truck, and unplugged the connector at the shift linkage and plugged it back in and shes fine. I have totally cleaned the connector, so it should be making good contact. I also noticed my speedo bouncing a fine amount, maybe a couple miles an hour. I cant imagine that would be enough to cause this. My big concern id for my rear diff. She shifts hard a lot.

I Have a few other things that may be part of the problem. don't know.

I have noticed that on the cold mornings now I don't get a wait to start light. I already disconnected the fuel bowl heater and my fuse is good. Once it warms up the wait to start light starts working. PCM?

Uggh........

Ah, in that case...

Since the speedo is bouncing, seems like VSS. Maybe even the range selector is out of whack??
Old 10-18-2012, 05:44 PM

Location: In the midwest (I travel a lot so it varies between South Dakota and Nebraska and the midwest)
Huh...I guess I was right with the name I called it originally. It is called the neutral safety switch. Here is a link to what I'm referring to. Should be on the driver's side:

1996-1997 Ford F350 Neutral Safety Switch - Transmission - Standard Motor Products 96-97 F350 Neutral Safety Switch - 5362-07037876 - PartsGeek
Old 10-18-2012, 06:02 PM

Does it slip out of gear under acceleration, or while cruising?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.