Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Best Buy on Batteries?

4K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  Palmer58 
#1 ·
Basically like the title says, What is the best buy on batteries? I am going to be replacing mine soon. Let me know what you have found. Thanks for any input in advanced.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#2 ·
I've had good luck with Duralast Golds, but there's plenty of options out there. Don't skimp on batteries though, these trucks need serious power to start. One battery that's not up to par could leave ya stranded.

#4 ·
My two nice and shiny Motorcraft batteries of unknown age from the previous owner were not "warranty able" by Ford as they will only do so with a receipt in hand, from me. Walmart (for a different vehicle and not without some thumb wrestling) looked up the serial number on the battery and gave me a warranty replacement.

My truck has been sitting a lot the last two months and I had to jump it the last few days of the battery's lives. I ordered a Battery Tender but had to replace the batteries before it arrived.

I bought two more Motorcraft 850 cold cranking amp batteries from the local Ford house because I had no reason to suspect the Motorcraft battery, just my lack of use of the truck. Their warranty was not much different than any others I found, except for the whole "receipt in hand" thing.

I looked at DEKA as they are made in PA but it was a weekend and I needed batteries now.

To be honest, the "receipt in hand" makes me wonder if I am in Boise, IA with dead batteries that I'll get snubbed by a Ford dealership because I didn't buy them there. My understanding is that Walmart, Sam's, Costco, Autozone, O'Reily's etc will warranty them at any of their stores.

So, do you want a "Motorcraft" sticker under your hood or a battery you can get warrantied?

#5 ·
Walmart for me. Nation wide warranty no questions asked.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#6 ·
I'll take the quality over some BS warranty any way. It will be Motorcraft, or Deka(carquest and NAPA labeled batteries are made by DEKA) I had a Walmart battery in one of my other trucks(installed by previous owner). They said, O it is not warrantied. Walmart can go pound sand. I REFUSE to shop at that Degenerate store that pays their employees Minimum wage, sells inferior CHINA products yet says "we help the community"

#7 ·
I just put in a new set of Yellow Top optima as I wanted an AGM style battery. I hate corrosion of fluid filled batteries and wanted the dual posts. I got good service from the old set 7 years, two powerstrokes. If I had reasonable access to DieHard Platinum (rebadged) oddessy AGM I'd of like to give them a try. I've heard the new YT aren't that good guess we'll be seeing.....

#8 ·
I run two 1040 CCA DEKA batteries. i paid like 133 a pop. however i did go WAY over kill lol anyways these bad boys are like 4 year free replacement rated for 7-8 years.

#10 ·
I'm in the houston area and buy the motorcrafts from oreilly that way you get the best of both worlds good batteries and warranty

Sent from my SCH-I500 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#12 ·
I came up with an ingenious strategy for these cheap Wal-Mart batteries. When I bought the truck, there was an extra battery. So I got that one replaced under warranty (dead cell), and keep it in the truck. The batteries come with 3 year warranties, and they usually only last about 2 years in Florida. Already gone through 2 of them on warranty, and I don't feel bad about it, because it's Wal-Mart.

I keep mine in the truck, but I'm going to tap down some milk crates into my tool-box and insulate that with rubber matting. Put the extra battery in there. Don't want to have to get jumped down the road, might as well keep one in the truck.

#13 · (Edited)
I may try the Advance Auto batts soon. 25% off coupon (have to buy one at a time though), 850 CCA and good warranty. Anybody know who makes them for Advance?
Nevermind - found that Johnson Controls makes the Advance Auto batts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.