Can you swap a 47 with a 650 trans? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 11:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Lightbulb Can you swap a 47 with a 650 trans?

Hey everyone I was watching some YouTube videos and found out that in the 1999-2001 Ford offered a 6spd ZF S6-650 transmission behind their 7.3L PSD. I was wondering would you be able to swap the ZF S5-47 in a 1994 7.3L PSD with the ZF S6-650. If so what would you have to change? Is it as simple as swapping trans and your done or are the flywheel's different(size, weight, bolt patterns etc). They where both bolted behind the 7.3L PSD I think the only difference is they added an intercooler. I have heard the 47 is a good trans but having that granny gear in the 650 would be nice. What are your guys opinion between the two?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2012, 08:37 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ZF6 needs new bellhousing, driveshaft, prolly master/slave, shifter, etc. Totally different.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85_305 View Post
ZF6 needs new bellhousing, driveshaft, prolly master/slave, shifter, etc. Totally different.
That doesn't make sense, why would Ford totally redesign the back of a 7.3L PSD to accommodate a different transmission. Well I guess Ill just find a 1999-2001 7.3L PSD to go with the ZF S6-650.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:59 PM

when i looked into it i found its pretty straightforward. hydraulics are different, t-case will probably need to come from a superduty, and drivelines will be different. front will need to be longer, rear will need to be shorter.

it will bolt right up, clutches interchange, and their is very little wiring to deal with

edit- the 6.0 trans has a different input shaft and idk what else. find a 7.3 trans
Old 10-10-2012, 05:00 PM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
They didn't. You can put the 6 speed in your truck,it has been done. Keep in mind if you have a 4x4 your transfer case will not fit the 6 speed. Does use a different clutch disc, I believe you will need to rework the trans tunnel, and will require different driveshaft or shafts. Also the ZF-6 uses a trans cooler mounted in front of the radiator. IMHO after driving several ZF 6 equipped trucks unless you are doing a lot of heavy towing it wouldn't be worth the trouble because 1st gear is so low you hardly use it anyways.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:04 PM

Or go with 4.10s with the 5sp for me my fist with 4.10s seems like freaking granny gear

Sent from my C771 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 10-10-2012, 06:33 PM

Like said above, unless you are hauling some serious weight there is no need for a zf-6. Everytime you stop at a red light you'll end up in third gear before you make it through the intersection.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95Hailey7.3 View Post
That doesn't make sense, why would Ford totally redesign the back of a 7.3L PSD to accommodate a different transmission. Well I guess Ill just find a 1999-2001 7.3L PSD to go with the ZF S6-650.
Because it's a totally different truck/motor that the 6spd went into over the 5spd 7.3's....

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdeer View Post
when i looked into it i found its pretty straightforward. hydraulics are different, t-case will probably need to come from a superduty, and drivelines will be different. front will need to be longer, rear will need to be shorter.

it will bolt right up, clutches interchange, and their is very little wiring to deal with

edit- the 6.0 trans has a different input shaft and idk what else. find a 7.3 trans
Ya i was gonna say xfer case also but wasn't positive.

either way, just replace w/ what was in there. The 6spds are GREAT trannies, but I wouldn't spend MY time/money/pissed-offedness putting one into an OBS.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:05 PM
the baconator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Dieselman View Post
They didn't. You can put the 6 speed in your truck,it has been done. Keep in mind if you have a 4x4 your transfer case will not fit the 6 speed. Does use a different clutch disc, I believe you will need to rework the trans tunnel, and will require different driveshaft or shafts. Also the ZF-6 uses a trans cooler mounted in front of the radiator. IMHO after driving several ZF 6 equipped trucks unless you are doing a lot of heavy towing it wouldn't be worth the trouble because 1st gear is so low you hardly use it anyways.
what he said. we have both. with the 6spd in a dump truck with 3.73s loaded towing a trailer, i still only use L when off road or starting on a hill. also the trans cross members are different, the floor hump should no need to be modified though. clutch, pressure plate, flywheel are all different

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85_305 View Post
Because it's a totally different truck/motor that the 6spd went into over the 5spd 7.3's....
the 7.3 block was the same. so the bolt pattern/shaft is the same.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryknight View Post

the 7.3 block was the same. so the bolt pattern/shaft is the same.
Right... it's the same motor, but it's totally different
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.