What do you all think about this??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2007, 03:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What do you all think about this???

I am new to the board and new to diesels... So new, that I know absolutely nothing about diesels other than the research I have done over the past couple of weeks. I must say, this board is the most informative I have found yet regarding the Ford diesels...

Anyway, I am looking for a F350 PSD dually to tow my race car. Seeing as how the majority of the budget is tied up in the race car itself I am looking for a "pre-owned" truck.

A few days ago I found a '97 F350 PSD dually for sale locally. I spoke briefly with a contact for the owner. He said the automatic transmission had been replaced about 50,000 miles ago and the owner used the truck to tow horses. The paint looks good and the interior looks to be in very good condition. Now, the part I am having a difficult time getting over is it has 235,000 miles on it... It is a 2wd and the owner is asking $6,500...

What do you all think about this deal?

Is 235,000 miles something to be concerned with regarding the engine?

Thanks in advance....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2007, 03:20 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

As long as the truck has been maintained I wouldn't worry too much about the mileage really. Here is a link of some things you can look for when you look it over. What to look for when buying a used 94-98 PSD
Old 11-04-2007, 02:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I went out and test drove this truck today and looked it over more closely...

Although, I did not have time to check all of the things suggested in the "What to look for when buying" link.

The first thing noticed was the truck needs new front tires. The current front tires are very badly worn. The rear tires appears to be in good shape.

The owner started the truck and it started right up with no smoke. The engine appears to be completely dry with no leaks.

When we first pulled out on the road it felt as if it had no power at all. Even with the pedal to the floor it would only do ~30mph on a flat road. After a couple of hundred yards it began to accelerate. Once the engine got some heat in it, it would go!!! Much better acceleration than my F150 Supercrew with the 5.4. I did notice the transmission would "shudder" upon shifting into second gear while it was colder. Once it had some heat in it the transmission was fine...

Once warmed up I got down on it hard a couple of times and there was no visible smoke out of the tailpipe.

Any advice, etc... would be GREATLY appreciated...
Old 11-04-2007, 03:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Doesn't sound too far out of the ordinary. My 95 acts the same way when its cold. 235k is not too much to worry about on these motors. The fact that it's dry is also a good sign. The shudder is the only thing that I would question. No trans should do that cold or hot. Good luck with your purchase. post up some pics when u get it
Old 11-04-2007, 04:16 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Was the weather cold there. If it was that may be part of the reason the motor was slow to accelerate. The PSD uses high pressure engine oil to actuate the injectors. When 15w40 is cold it gets a little thick
Old 11-04-2007, 04:37 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Blue01F250 Send a message via Yahoo to Blue01F250
I agree with NovaJoe -- I think it sounds as if the engine and body are in great shape, but the trans is the only thing I'd question. As was said earlier, warm up might be the real issue

these engines love to be warm!
Old 11-04-2007, 05:00 PM
Learning the 6.0 game…...

Mileage isn't an issue. I just hit 230K on mine and just replaced the transmission. Dry is good, mine leaks all over the countryside, but I'm too lazy to pull the turbo to just replace a couple of o rings.

THESE TRUCKS LOVE TO WARM UP!
Mine won't run worth beans cold! I will go start it up before I even dress for work, get ready for work then leave. About 10-15 min. warm up time.

Diesels are like women: they take a while to warm up, but once there they will run all night
Old 11-04-2007, 06:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the replies!!!

It was in the upper 50's today when we took it out... After it warmed up some I was really amazed at the way the truck accelerated and the tranny acted fine with some heat also... The fella told me it was a Jasper rebuilt tranny put in the truck in ~180,000 and he believes the current tranny is still under warantee.

The fella said the truck has been from Virginia to the Dakotas several times and up and down the east coast several times as they are into show horses. For a '97 the body is in great shape...

What kind of fuel mileage can one expect out of these trucks, empty and towing?

Thanks again!!! You guys are a great help!!!
Old 11-04-2007, 10:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thumbs up

i agree with the other guys the miles don't really matter and especially if they are over the road, i took my 96 f250 over the road for a couple months transporting horses and loaded i was about 10,000k maybe a little more at times and i was getting 12 mpg at 65mph not the best but i was not chipped and i had 35" tires plus 4 wheel drive, "not really the best over the road setup", i would say i get about 15-16mpg empty basically no matter what cause i don't have tunes. I hope that helps a little bit and good luck with the truck i don't think i would be to worried about it other than the tranny but i guarentee you will be happy with the truck they are awesome and they are my favorite body style out of all trucks.

cassidy
Old 11-05-2007, 06:34 AM
Learning the 6.0 game…...

I get a steady 13 MPG empty or hauling it doesn't matter. I hauled my Camaro from CA to S.C. and back and got about 14-at 75-80 MPH!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.