How To:Tie EBP sensor into MAP(boost) line - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 12:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
How To:Tie EBP sensor into MAP(boost) line

DISCLAIMER: I don't think this will work if you still have the EBPV(exhaust back pressure valve) still plugged in and functioning off the PCM, as that needs to read EBP and not boost. My truck has the EBPV unplugged and will soon be deleted so its not an issue.

The Problem:
A common issue on these 7.3's is the EBP(exhaust back pressure) tube and sensor will get clogged up with soot. Generally that means there is a leak in the sensor allowing the soot to travel up the tube, but i'd gurantee that every 7.3 built will have this issue at some point. So there are write-ups out there on how to remove the tube and either clean it, or replace it completely with a new stainless tube or whatever you want to use. But still, most of these will eventually leak and get clogged. So then again you get to fight it and clean it, and it becomes a PITA.

Or if your truck is like mine, where the tube has never been touched in 200k miles living in the rust belt, it will just twist or kink when you try removing it which means it has to be replaced. Well i have a scangauge so i can keep an eye on EBP, and noticed that shortly after installing my injectors my tube plugged up tight, and gave wacky readings. I cleaned the sensor and since then it just sits at 15psi, which is atmosphere. Thats been 7 months, 10k miles. Throughout that time i've been complaining about sloppy shifts and other trans related issues, and keep coming back to a clogged EBP tube can be part of the problem. So today i said enough is enough, and tackled it.

What I did:
I've seen it talked about indirectly on some different forums, so i figured i'd try tieing the EBP sensor into the MAP line. By doing that you are giving the sensor boost pressure, which for the most part is close to drive pressure. It also eliminates the chance of a tube or sensor clogging with soot in the future. So pretty much its a hassle-free solution. I also know that i read around for a while trying to find more about doing this, but i never found any info on it out there. So i figured i'd through together a write-up.

What you need:
1/4" barbed T
1/4" barbed to 1/8" female
1/4" rubber hose rated to 40psi, pretty much fuel or fuel injection line
Something to cut the rubber hose.

How I did it:
To install it you cut the MAP line where you want, insert the T, add on the new hose and run it out towards the EBP sensor. Then simply cut it where you want it, slide in the barbed fitting, hook up the sensor, and your done. Took me all of 5 minutes to do it, including the time it took me to find something to cut the hose with. Only thing i have left to do is get 4 clamps to throw on the barbed fittings so they don't come loose and leak.

Results:
Made a short little trip around the block and noticed an immediate difference in how the shifts felt, they feel crisper and more solid now that the EBP sensor is actually getting a reading. Pretty much the same results as replacing the line at a fraction of the cost, and i'll never have to touch it again.

Here are some pics, i can get some clear ones if needed, just gotta dig out my actual camera.

Overall its extremely simple, but i ran into issues finding the fitting i needed. To tap into the MAP line you need a T, which you can find anywhere. But to hook the sensor up to the 1/4" hose you need a 1/4" barbed to 1/8" female thread nipple. I tried several auto stores as well as Lowes and Home Depot, nobody had one. So at Napa we ended up using a 1/4" barbed to 1/8" male fitting, with a 1/8" threaded female coupler which gave me what i needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2012, 12:44 PM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
That is interesting to know. I am curious as to what if anything would happen if high boost hit's the EBP sensor.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:52 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Actually the sensor will see less pressure this way than in the manifold. Right when i got my scangauge i did some testing before the tube clogged up solid, and up until about 22psi boost and drive pressure were 1:1, then drive pressure crept past boost after that. But the MAP and EBP sensor both max out at about 43.5 absolute psi, which is roughly 25psi of boost/BP. I'd venture to say that at 40psi(which i have hit multiple times before) of boost, back pressure is 50psi+, possibly close to 60. No real data to confirm that though. But still boost pressure will always be equal or lower than drive pressure on a stock charger, so this way is safer on the sensor. Also might be less heat, and no chance of soot or anything getting in there and clogging it again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.