Need some answers - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 10:34 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Need some answers

Ok so hears the problem.. I own a cummins. I want a stroke..question being 97 take it with 259 on the odom for an even swap for my 95 dodge 12 valve with 85 orig on it? I guess I'm asking how long will this motor last i plan on doing injectors and a med. tune I wanna get some answer from all you stroke guys out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2012, 10:38 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
without knowing the condition of both trucks its hard to say , but the mileage doesnt bother me on the stroke if its been taken care of
Old 10-01-2012, 10:50 AM
Premium Member

Yeah see I mean honestly my trucks body isnt perfect but im worried about blowing this stroke up when i put like a 120 tune to it.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:52 AM
Premium Member

bottom line the guy lives 6 hours away a drive to just to drive it down the road and look it over would be a waste untill i get it on the like the interstate and get the egts up along with the trans temp yanno.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I bought my truck with almost the same mileage on it and didn't start modding it until 265k and plan on bigger injectors in the near future. If the truck has been cared for at all I wouldn't be concerned about mileage.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:14 PM

^^ I agree as long as they didn't trash it. And IIRC international recommends rebuilds at 450000 miles or somewhere around there
Old 10-01-2012, 03:27 PM

So you have a 1995 12 Valve with 85,xxx on it, and are considering trading straight across for a 1997 Powerstroke with 259,xxx? Are the trucks same configuration (2wd vs 4wd, auto vs. manual, cab and bed)?
Don't get me wrong, I love my 'Stroke, but I think you're getting screwed unless he's putting some cash in on top. 175,xxx is a lot of miles of wear and tear. The engine will be fine if it's been maintained, but you have to take the rest of the drivetrain and steering components into account as well.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom neufer View Post
Ok so hears the problem.. I own a cummins. I want a stroke..question being 97 take it with 259 on the odom for an even swap for my 95 dodge 12 valve with 85 orig on it? I guess I'm asking how long will this motor last i plan on doing injectors and a med. tune I wanna get some answer from all you stroke guys out there.
In my opinion, it's a wise move. I went from a stroke, to a cummins, and right back to a stroke. Best decision ever. 259k miles is nothing... I dont even look at mileage when I buy vehicles, I do basic checks, see how it runs and is maintained, and make a decision. Mileage is secondary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUFFY828 View Post
without knowing the condition of both trucks its hard to say , but the mileage doesnt bother me on the stroke if its been taken care of
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom neufer View Post
Yeah see I mean honestly my trucks body isnt perfect but im worried about blowing this stroke up when i put like a 120 tune to it.
Thats a ridiculous worry. People dont start dropping big turbos and injectors onto their strokes until 200-300k miles all the time on this forum.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsboy View Post
So you have a 1995 12 Valve with 85,xxx on it, and are considering trading straight across for a 1997 Powerstroke with 259,xxx? Are the trucks same configuration (2wd vs 4wd, auto vs. manual, cab and bed)?
Don't get me wrong, I love my 'Stroke, but I think you're getting screwed unless he's putting some cash in on top. 175,xxx is a lot of miles of wear and tear. The engine will be fine if it's been maintained, but you have to take the rest of the drivetrain and steering components into account as well.
I agree with this. 85,000 miles on a 12 valve is like a brand new engine, ghe stroke will probably be n great condition and in many ways theyre as bulletproof as the 12 valve, but i think truck for truck youre gettting the short end of the stick for a straight trade. pics of both trucks would be nice if you can swing it
Old 10-02-2012, 07:50 PM

Hell, if you're close enough to WA state I've got a 'Stroke with a lot less than 260xxx on it I'll trade you for that Cummins.
As long as it's an extended cab, long bed, 4x4 with a NV and none of that rubber-band automatic junk.
Been looking for a low mileage 12 valve to add to the stable until I find a '78 Highboy to swap the engine in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.