obs top end power? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2012, 04:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
obs top end power?

so since ive been talking about. and now have bought my truck. every time i would say id be interested in an OBS, i get the same comment. "you can tow with it but wont get there very fast". this never made sense to me. i drive like an old lady anyway, but never thought about towing a 35 foot 10k lb trailer doing 90.

anyway i think i figured it out what they ment. the truck is great low end. pulling into traffic, really 0-65 i have no issues. but last night i am gettin on the freeway, guy in a big rig is being a dick, i roll the throttle and she made a lot of noise but damn it if it didnt take for ever to get going. my truck is stock down to the air filter (well the kid i bought it from cut off the muffler ect.) what do these rigs like for more top end get up. i dont need a hot rod but that was disappointing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2012, 05:12 AM
CSP Resident Spooby

Sounds like a typical old 7.3. You could throw a good 6-position chip in it for starters, but then you would want gauges so you could keep an eye on EGT's and trans temp (if you have an auto). A 3" downpipe and air intake will help her breathe a lot better too. I have a chip, bigger injectors and modified HPOP in my 96, and it runs freakin' circles around how it was stock.

Last edited by nine6stroker; 09-28-2012 at 05:15 AM.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Like mentioned, some custom tuning can really help, but there is only so much you can improve with programming before you meet the limits of the stock injectors. Cold air intake, new exhaust, tuning will wake it up some and give the truck some improved pulling power/torque, should help mileage as well.

We are currently running an 'entire package' sale that offers a free tune when purchasing an intake, exhaust, gauges and F5 or F6 chip from us. Let me know if we can help...

Diesel tuning products for Ford PowerStroke
Old 09-28-2012, 07:38 AM

For me 40-80 is were I get some good acceleration when I stomp on it. 0-35 I feel like there isn't much boost.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandy View Post
so since ive been talking about. and now have bought my truck. every time i would say id be interested in an OBS, i get the same comment. "you can tow with it but wont get there very fast". this never made sense to me. i drive like an old lady anyway, but never thought about towing a 35 foot 10k lb trailer doing 90.

anyway i think i figured it out what they ment. the truck is great low end. pulling into traffic, really 0-65 i have no issues. but last night i am gettin on the freeway, guy in a big rig is being a dick, i roll the throttle and she made a lot of noise but damn it if it didnt take for ever to get going. my truck is stock down to the air filter (well the kid i bought it from cut off the muffler ect.) what do these rigs like for more top end get up. i dont need a hot rod but that was disappointing.

v-series diesels make most power in the mid-top end... thats where they shine. They are made to wind out. BUT, if you have stock intake/exhaust/dp then I can understand your concerns. Do those things and it will really wake up the truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozinag View Post
For me 40-80 is were I get some good acceleration when I stomp on it. 0-35 I feel like there isn't much boost.
A 30 roll these trucks pull real hard. They do a 2nd-1st downshift and just rip.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
I agree with that. I moved my map sensor to the hot side and it helped a lot. But it is usually in 4th gear at 2k rpm that I can make much power, 3rd gear is like 5 psi, 4th gear is all the way up to 30 psi, 5th is probably like 10 psi.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
0-35 I feel like there isn't much boost.
Because v-series diesels make good mid-upper rpm power.. 30-40mph is where 2nd gear comes in, which means first gear is in its power band.

A 1.0 exhaust housing will help this lower end power a ton. So will a chip, injectors, intake/dp/exhaust etc. A lot of people think that an intake/dp/exhaust on a stock OBS feels like the 40hp or 60hp economy setting on a chip (for comparisons sake).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.