Wanting to rebuild my front end on my 2wd dully - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2012, 03:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wanting to rebuild my front end on my 2wd dully

As the title says, but I was wondering if anyone know a good place to get cheep parts to my front end, as in bushings, king pins, ect...... I have a 1995 2wd f-350.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2012, 05:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i got all my parts from napa.. and what front end do you have, cause i thought kingpins didnt need to ever be replaced.. if you have the twin beam i can help, but thats doesnt have kingpins.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yes, I have the twin I beam, and your help would be appreciated!

Sent from my PG86100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 09-27-2012, 05:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

My dad called advanced and they had king pins for my truck. But idk they are idiot's lol

Sent from my PG86100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 09-27-2012, 09:59 PM

just get all the parts from napa, buy the best stuff they have, and you can borrow/rent the press from one of the auto part stores. i used an air impact gun to do everything - definately made pressing everything in/out easier. i changed upper/lower ball joints, radius arm bushing, axle pivot bushings, outter tie rod ends, and front shocks also.

ball joints are pretty straight foward, press out, press in.. the axle pivot bushings you dont press in completely. youll understand once u see them. you want the axle centered in between the total thickness of the bushing. radius arm bushings are also pretty straight foward, but were a PITA for me.. i used a chain hoist to pull the axle's out of, and them back into place. front struts are very easy. tie rods ends - just count the number of turns to take each one off, then turn the new one in the same amount. YOU ABSOLUTELY NEED TO GET AN ALIGNMENT AFTER ALL THIS.

Ford F150 Ball Joint Removal Photo 7

TheDieselStop.Com - www.thedieselstop.com

axle pivot bushings-removal tool - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
Old 09-27-2012, 10:07 PM

jack up front of truck and place on jackstands, chock rear wheels. remove wheels, and just work on one side at a time. should get that ball joint spereator/fork to make life easy. do ball joints first. for the axle pivot bushings just place a jack under the them so you can let them down, and push them back into place after the bushing is pressed in. like i said, i didnt take radius arms off, i removed nut, and pulled the axle out of, and back into place with a ratchet hoist. ... looking back - it might be easier to remove the axle pivot bolts, and then just pull radius arms out of place so u dont need to fight them.. tie rod ends after that, shocks last..

search around - google, youtube, forums, online magazine postings.. it wasnt too bad esp being only 2wd.. just time, and learning how to do it.. also - get yourself a grease gun - youll need to grease everything, and DONT buy parts without grease fittings. you do all this and you wont belive what a difference is makes.. i still want to do my front hubs, bearings and brakes too.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:12 PM

Great post Typhoon. Pretty much sums it up.
To the OP, consider youtself lucky you have a 2WD and don't have to deal with the center axle u-joint on the 4WD D50. That alone would double the time of the project.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks ALOT man, when I get the $ to do it I'll try and take pics and stuff. Someone needy to make this a sticky!!!!!
Old 09-28-2012, 06:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

But I would give n e thing for my truck to be 4wd
Old 09-28-2012, 07:09 PM

i hope this posts the way im trying - look through the search results.. the expert village videos basically explain all you need to know about using the press, and the sequence to remove and install the new ball joints.. once you figure the ball joints out, the rest is easy - or - easier. i think it cost me about 3 or 400 in parts to replace my complete front end..

truck ball joints - YouTube

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/89...r-dummies.html

Last edited by kctyphoon; 09-28-2012 at 07:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.