?'S about rsk and 08+ axles - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 10:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to OnTheBio
Question ?'S about rsk and 08+ axles

Hello all. It's been quite some time since I've visited. I am wanting to upgrade the suspension on my truck (1997 f350) and am weighing everything about installing a RSK or 08+ axles.

Can anyone share their experience with either or both?

Which one would ride better? I like the little lift of the RSK, I like the oem of the 08+, I like the bit bigger tires (17") with 08+, I like keeping 16" tires because I just purchased new coopers (haha).

It's very hard to find 08+ axles especially if you're not willing to purchase the entire wrecked truck - from what I've ran into, of course. I would like 3.73 (my truck has 4.10)and 4x4 (I'm pretty sure that matters, since my truck is already 4x4??).

I thought I would just ask on here and maybe start up a discussion comparing them. I've read almost every thread on here regarding both as well but never seen anyone compare something like this.

Thanks for reading, have a good day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2012, 11:33 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
If you have the ability to do it, go with the 08 setup front and rear. You will gain disks in the rear and larger breaks in the front, better turning, more room for turning with large tires, better ride and stronger axles. Downfalls are possible death wobble and unit bearings, both of which can be fixed, larger rims 18"+ IIRC and possibly a higher cost/more difficult install. Also, your current D60 should sell for around $1000 which will cover most if not all of the cost of the new axles.

When I was doing my 95 I had originally planned on 05 axles but due to rushing into the project and my comfort level with the install I went with a leaf sprung D60 axle. You should contact Cary, he can steer you in the right direction for whichever axle you use.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:08 AM

Any ideas where a set of 08+ axles can be sourced? Mine are all exhausted.

Thanks you.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:10 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
ebay, freight sucks but that's where I picked up my D60.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:53 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Hands down '05 up axles if you use a 4 link kit...we have everything needed and can get you axles etc.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:09 AM
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!

i did the 05+ axle swap. I LOVE IT!!!!!... look on CL for someone parting a truck and ask for a price on a rolling chassis. go to JY's and ask. i see them quite often but it depends on how much you wnat to spend and how far you wana drive. i picked up my roller minus wheels as i already had some for 2000... just after i bought it i saw a roller minus wheels for 1800... go figure. BUT, i drove from MD to GA to pick it up which was 12 hrs but i made a good time out of it. i would suggest getting a roller as they are easier to deal with and it allows you to take measurements and stuff. also gives you an idea on stock angles of track bars, pinion angles....ext

only thing i would change if i did it again, i would have made my own track bar mount(which i still may do sometime), get the SD drive shafts of the same style(lenght) truck, and maby get the SD powersteering box and pitman as the box has softer valving. nothing wrong with the OBS box. just saying if i do it again.

also if you keep you OBS box make sure when you get your pitman reamed out, use a F350 arm and not the f250 arm. it make the ateering angles better!! or get a E99 pitman as it is slightly longer and even straighter and will fit over the OBS box splines.

and cant thank Cary enought for helping me along with this project!!
Old 09-28-2012, 12:44 PM

Ol blue, I've read your write up about 100 times. I feel I could do this swap in my sleep just from that!

So in reality, a RSK would run me around 1200-1300 after all said and done and 05+ axles a little over 2k for a "new" truck? I like that idea...

Also, I'm assuming 05 is the same as 08+? I was under the impression that 08+ had some even better goodies.

Thanks
Old 09-28-2012, 01:01 PM

You do not use a RS kit with '05 up axles..you use a 4 link kit along with some factory parts.

Costs will be more unless you find a killer deal on axles etc.,

'08 axles have larger brakes and rear has a wider track. They also have a larger front sway bar that keep the front flat when cornering..'05 is much smaller and you do get body roll and a softer ride.

We been doing these for 4 years..
Old 09-28-2012, 02:03 PM

Thanks Cary.

I was more so comparing the two prices, not adding them together

Can you send me a PM with a price of what your place would charge for a complete swap including everything needed?

Thanks.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:00 PM

Sorry my bad...

Sure, I''ll need to know what you have, what tires and rims you want etc....or you can buy mine already done with leather interior and 450HP!

You do know I'm in NV....but I've had trucks shiped here from Il and Tn, etc.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.