Snow plow on a powerstroke??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2012, 06:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Snow plow on a powerstroke???

To start with I have an 88 F250 5.7 that I have a plow on. My "new" truck is a 97 F250 4x4 7.3 extended cab. I was checking the plow sites to see if it would be a swap but the mounting kits are different.

Couple questions. The plow sites say that Ford does not recommend putting a plow on a F250 7.3 extended cab, actually digging through they didn't want plows put on many of the 7.3s. Any ideas why? Maybe the extra weight???

Are the frames very different where the original plow won't fit???

Hate to lose the plow but sure don't need another truck around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2012, 07:46 PM
Premium Member

My truck had a plow for a couple years and have seen countless 7.3s with plows, don't know why they wouldn't reccomend it. Only thing I can think of would be on an F250 because of the TTB Dana 50. I guess it blocks air flow with the plow up and traveling too.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

doesnt the factory set up for a plow come with different springs on gas trucks? i wonder if the front springs on the 7.3 are the same springs they use for the factory plow set up.. cant imagine any other reason. i would think this would be the ideal truck for plowing.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:42 AM
BANNED by Kris

RockAuto.com sells plow springs for our trucks. On my 2wd I installed them for a little better leveling.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:37 AM

I know my truck was ordered from ford with a third leaf in front and overloads in the rear
Old 09-25-2012, 04:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kctyphoon View Post
i would think this would be the ideal truck for plowing.
That is what I am thinking. F250 should handle it... My old one did.

Anyone know if the difference in the frames from an 1988 F250 and a 1997???
Old 09-26-2012, 03:33 AM

my 95 250 psd has had a 7.5' Myers since it was new with the factory third front leaf. it holds the weight well with little sag.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:33 AM

I still have the box that my Boss plow mount came in. Inever throw anything away. It says their stuff will work on F250-F350 92-97. I think but am not 100% sure the difference between an 88 and 97 is the frame on a 97 is boxed and 88 is open (C shaped). A few things to consider when putting on a plow on your truck, absolutely put a larger trans cooler on! Lots of options here just do a search I went the 6.0 rout it was so easy. Next my mount and I think most will inner fear with an off the shelf RSK or innercooler but if you don't mind doing some fabrication you can make them work.
Snow plow on a powerstroke???-2012-09-26_08-04-48_301.jpg
Old 09-26-2012, 02:11 PM

im putting a plow on my 97 gonna b replacing my 85 i dont beleive there is any difference in the mounting on mine. but i cant say for sure depending on what brand of plow u have. mine is a meyer.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:33 PM

the 94 gas f350 i bought b4 the one i have now, had a 7.5' ( i think) fisher plow mounted on it, with a backdrag plate.. first thing i did was take the blade and pump mount off, and mounted the plow headlights onto the plow frame that bolted to the truck. it actually looked good like that too. sold the plow with the truck, to a guy that didnt want it anway - not realizing i could got another grand just for the plow itself, i dont think i cared at the time i just wanted the truck gone.

anyway - i gotta say i could NOT belive how heavy the thing was, and that the springs on the front of the truck held the weight. i tried to pick the thing up with 4 people and we couldnt even budge it. i wound up having to use the boom on one of out bucket trucks just to lift the thing off the ground and get it into the bed of the truck so the guy could take it all home. i dont know what springs were on that truck, but jesus chirst it was like the truck didnt even know there was a plow on it.. it rode like hell though with the plow off. bad pothole would lauch you out of the seat.

why is it that someone has not developed a carbon fiber plow yet? instead of one that weighs 1000lbs and kills the front end of your truck. i met a guy that had a bronco with one of those clear poly blades.. he said it got stuck in the lower position, and drove all the way home with it down, trying to break it off and couldnt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.