Fan Clutch question... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2007, 06:30 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fan Clutch question...

My fan clutch has been engaged since day 1 when I got the truck. It's been louder than normal and feels like it's robbing power from the truck. And it's sort of annoying around 2k rpms. It spins "somewhat" freely when the truck is just sitting there but for whatever reason it engages all the time. Well this morning it was 34* outside and guess what, no engagement. Truck was quiet, came up through the gears awesome and had great power. I was really pleased. Well I jumped back in the truck an hour later and it was the same old thing. A guy here at work said basically I need to replace the clutch fan. Everyone agree?
Where is the best place to get one and how much of a pain is it to replace? I assume you need a puller of some sort?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
-Ray
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2007, 06:34 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

dont have to have a puller , but do have to have a wrench that fits the big nut that is attached to the water pump, need to knock it loose , replace the fan clutch and reinstall, make sure it is tight , if it isnt when you shut the engine off for the first time after instale it can spin it off and sling it thru the radiator
Old 10-13-2007, 08:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Raymond

Call around for prices, some parts stores rent a fan cluch wrench you need it to replace the fan clutch. Like scuffy said make sure it is tight.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I was reading through some older posts and saw this one.

Just in case someone is needing to replace their radiator fan clutch: When I did this on my 1995 F250 PSD, I went to O'Reilly Auto Parts and rented a fan clutch wrench kit (seems like it was $75 or so, put it on a credit card, then they credit the charge when you return the tool), and ordered the fan clutch from RockAuto.com. Initially, I ordered the Motorcraft clutch, listed for $287.79 this past April (2012), but they called me and said they were out of stock. So, I went with the Four Seasons brand for $161.79. With the tool kit, it was a breeze to install, and it made a big difference in my A/C temperature. The old clutch wasn't working properly, thus not pulling enough air across the A/C condenser (high-side A/C pressure was going WAYYY too high, would drop immediately if I sprayed water from the garden hose on the condenser.) For reference, my fan clutch had a "normal" thread to spin on to the water pump shaft: counter-clockwise off, clockwise on.

P.S.: I have used RockAuto for lots of parts purchases that I didn't need immediately. Sometimes, their "standard" shipping showed up at my door in two days. Otherwise, it was 3 or 4 days, depending on where it was being shipped from. And, their customer service has been outstanding! One time, I ordered an ATP in-line transmission fluid filter kit. When it arrived, it was missing 3 of the 4 hose clamps that were supposed to be in the box. I called them about it, and they sent an entire new filter kit to me, free of charge! So, I have a new one on the shelf for the next time I need to change that filter. They are tops on my list!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.