New here, Intercooler Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2005, 02:03 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question New here, Intercooler Question

Hi guys, I'm new here. Nice to meet you all.
I have a 96 F250 TD 316,000 miles, I use to pull my car to the track. It has a Banks Ottomind, 3" down pipe and a K&N. Exhaust temp is running up to 1000 or so after the turbo on a long hill on hot days.

#1) I have heard that 1050 is as hot as I want to go after turbo. Whats your take on this? Sounds reasonable to me.

#2) I have seen a retrofit for a 99 intercooler on a 96. Would this mod gain me much power? Is it worth it? I would assume this would lower my EGT slightly, is this correct?

Thanks for your help, Jason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2005, 06:20 AM
Premium Member

Send a message via ICQ to overl0rd Send a message via AIM to overl0rd
Depending on where the pyrometer probe is mounted in the downpipe you can expect to see a difference of anywhere from 200-400 degrees. If its right after the turbo outlet, 200 seems pretty fair. From what I can gather (different sources say different things) 1250-1400 degrees in the manifold starts to make the tips of the turbine flow and flattens out the vanes IOW fries the turbo. That all being said give yourself an extra buffer. I'd say 950-1000 at most after turbo. Most of the time I don't even get that high in the manifold on my 96. Food for thought.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Hello Jason: Banks states that 1300 is the max temp from exhaust to turbo and 1050 after turbo, I would never push mine that high, but you are a racer. As for the intercooler - the gain is 10 hp for every 3 degerrs drop in air intake tempature, and yes it should drop your egt. I just got home from a smog upgrade class at a local collage and the instructor was the ford diesel mechanic at a local dealership for years. I took some time to try and pick his brain a bit, he made the statement that the K&N was one of the worst things anybody can do - yes I asked why, he told me that the K&N will let enough dirty air in to wipe out the fins on the turbo and he has replaced many of them. We live in a farming area and the farmers drive off road a lot. Our local Napa store owner just came up to me about a week ago and told me Napa had developed a new air intake filtering system for Fords, he told me it almost matched the K&N but stoped the dirt. Good luck Mike OB
Old 10-27-2005, 04:03 PM

Thanks

Thanks fellas. It is always nice to get some other opinions besides a sales rep. so I figured the people here would have the know. The 1st Banks guy I talked to said 1300, when i called back for a separate question another guy said 1050. I believed the last guy! lol.
Anyhow I am new to all this diesel stuff so I listen to and appreciate any knowledge anyone wants to share. I personally dont like to learn my lessons the hard way!
As far as the K&N, I have heard the same thing but it was on there when I bought the truck with some 312,000 miles so I figure whatever damage could be done has been already lol. Besides the truck doesnt see much dust. So I guess there is some give and take when using one. Ever stuck your hand in front of the filter when the truck is idling? These things pull some massive air. I would hate to slow it down much. Thanks for the info.
I was actually wondering if a cone style filter would flow more air while cleaning better. The pics of the K&N cold air have this type of filter and the "kit" looks pretty simple to make. Whats everyone think?
thanks again guys, Jason
Old 10-27-2005, 04:21 PM
Premium Member

The K&N FIPK is real simple, I imagine it wouldnt take much to make. It consists of a plastic intake tube with a boot to connect to the existing intake plumbing, a sheetmetal box to go where the stock box was, and a conical gauze filter with a stud for a support bracket and port for filter minder in the end. I think I paid 250 for mine, not real sure though. I can put up some photos of my setup if you want.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:31 PM

sure show us the kit. did you see any difference when you went to it? or in other words, was it worth it? hmmmmm a cold air and a intercooler......sounds interesting.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:46 PM
Premium Member

Ill have to take the photos tomorrow, it's already getting dark here. I think it was worth it since I picked up a couple MPG. Itl make the turbo a lot louder, and its good for a little seat of the pants difference.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:46 AM
Premium Member

Well, it turns out I dont have anywhere to put them up, so pm me with your email and I'll send them.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:50 AM
Military Member

Send a message via ICQ to jwiger Send a message via AIM to jwiger Send a message via MSN to jwiger Send a message via Yahoo to jwiger
Quote:
Originally Posted by overl0rd
Well, it turns out I dont have anywhere to put them up, so pm me with your email and I'll send them.
email them to jwiger@sc.rr.com I'll host them on my web server.

BTW welcome to the site Jason!
Old 11-01-2005, 07:54 PM
Military Member

Send a message via ICQ to jwiger Send a message via AIM to jwiger Send a message via MSN to jwiger Send a message via Yahoo to jwiger
here's the pics of Overlord's K&N set up:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.