Originally Posted by Baileysbees
My right lower ball joint has started making noise! So I for see a ball joint project project in my very near future! Does any one know of a good write up on this job so I might be able study up before I dive in! I plan on not cutting any corner's so 4 new ball joints with u-joints and bearings along with all the seals and new stainless brake lines. One of those deals where I do'nt want to do this again for a while!
I did mine less than a year ago. What a pain! I had to take mine to a Peterbilt (semi truck shop) to have them popped out from the hubs. The worst part was lugging them in a backpack on my motorcycle. The guys were nice and charged me like $20 to do it. They put the new ones in for me too. I'd imagine theres a special tool for that, but a hammer and punch were no match for them.
As for the bearings, DO NOT DAMAGE THE HUBS! Ford only sells the new type of hubs that cannot be serviced (must replace assembly when bearings go bad). I didn't have the right tools but was able to remove the bearings and cups with a punch and hammer. Installing them was the same. What I did wrong (first time doing a bearing swap) was I installed the cups the wrong direction, so I ended up having to drill out a section of the hubs to be able to punch the cups back out. I took the hubs to a parts washer to clean the metal shards off. oops! Good news is everything works. Remember to buy a bearing packer and some lithium grease from the local auto parts store.
When buying ball joints go for greasable ones. You will find that the lower ball joints cannot be greased due to clearance issues. That is fine if you don't mind removing stuff to grease them every so often.
The u joints were easy as long as you know how to remove them.
Never did the brake lines before. Sounds easy enough.
Oh, I remember one more thing. It was a real pain in the *** to disassemble the hub. In particular, the rotors and shield were on there pretty good, so I ended up ruining my shields (55 bucks apiece) by having to use a sledge and axe blade to separate the rotor assy from the hub. Anti seize would be a good idea! lol