Should I buy??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 06:45 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Should I buy???

Hi everyone. My names Mike im 16 and new to the forum. Im trying to buy my first truck for work. I've been in the market for a 12 valve cummins for a while, but decided I was only interested in a dodge for the engine alone lol. I wanted a truck that could offer an awesome engine and a tank of a truck itself so decided nowhere else to go but a 7.3 ford. I just found a 96 f350 powerstroke srw with 150k miles on it, proffesionally rebuilt auto tranny within the last 20k miles, a few grand worth of new front and rear end parts, new brakes, recent tires, all within the last 20k miles. Also has a Cab rack and a chip, stage 2 injectors, Intake, 4 in mbrp turbo back exhaust and according to the guy its pushing out easily over 400 hp with a trans that can handle the power no problem. Body and interior are both in pretty good shape, all this for $3000. I know for the price its definitely worth it, but my main concern is things that I'm gona have to watch for on it and what tends to go on these trucks with all these mods and all done to it. Plus I know a lot more about the cummins engine versus the powerstroke, and don't know much about the ford trucks in general either, so any info on their flaws and whatnot would be great . I apologize for the long description, and any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2012, 06:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

That sounds odd to me. $3000 for a truck with $1250-$1650 injectors, and if the trans is "built" another $4-$5k etc etc. Make sure you look the truck over really well.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 04-12-2012, 08:36 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
that sounds terrible and you should walk away

where did you say it was at?
no sounds way to built for that little of cash, make sure he can prove this stuff first, but i paid 3k for mine and it was bone stock, most guys one here pay upwards of 5k for a stock to stockish truck, and 10k if it has stupid low mileage, just get proof before you spend 8k getting it fixed properly
Old 04-12-2012, 08:43 PM

I don't really see that truck having easily over 400hp for starters. But I could be wrong too. But yeah 3k for a truck that has tons of stuff done. I would ask for some receipts of some of the work done. Plus if you drive it and it doesnt really throw you back in the seat it does not have anywhere near 400hp therefore it doesn't have injectors and a well built tranny to put the power on the ground.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFordman87 View Post
I don't really see that truck having easily over 400hp for starters. But I could be wrong too. But yeah 3k for a truck that has tons of stuff done. I would ask for some receipts of some of the work done. Plus if you drive it and it doesnt really throw you back in the seat it does not have anywhere near 400hp therefore it doesn't have injectors and a well built tranny to put the power on the ground.
That's another thing. An obs with stage II's will not make 400 hp. Especially without turbo, hpop, intercooler etc. Also an obs will not run 160/100's without a 17* hpop so there is no way if it still has the 15* hpop.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:58 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to baderic03
Ok I just ran into a similar situation with a new customer and I need to drive out 2+ hrs and look at a truck she bought for 4500 that supposedly has 250cc injectors,turbo etc but it has generic ts tunes can't remover where he got the injectors no hpop lots of shady business

Moral of that story make shore you got proof of what's in there
Old 04-13-2012, 02:35 AM

Thanks guys I've already discussed with him about getting receipts and all. I know some of the stuff he said about performance mods sound kinda shady, but ill see when i go look at it. But hell, for 3 grand id be perfectly happy with a bone stock model considering they are worth more anyway haha. My concern is the maintenance on these trucks and what i should watch for when i look at the truck and if i buy what to look for after . Thanks
Old 04-13-2012, 07:41 AM

check it over for oil and fuel leaks, check the waterpump weap hole for coolant, make sure the vacuum pump is working and the brakes are in good shape. shake down the frone end including balljoints. check the front driveline u joints especially is its been sitting. pull the intake and check the turbo fins for dusting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.