Turbo Questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2012, 10:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turbo Questions

Hi there I've had some ongoing issues with what i think is turbo related, truck doesn't seem to have the same oomph and lags a bit when climbing even the slightest of hills, anyway i decided to inspect the turbo, so i removed the intake boot and discovered a small ding in one of the vanes, now my question i how much would it affect performance and can i replace the wheel without removing the whole turbo assembly as it looks like the housing can be split, the wheel itself has a very slight up/down and in/out movement and there does not appear to be any scoring to the housing, i have attached some pics ...thx Ozzy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2012, 11:35 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The ding isn't doing you any favors but all things considered its really not that bad.
These turbos use a journal bearing that rides on a film of oil, so when the truck is shut off some play in the bearing is completely normal (side to side play that is). The important thing is that it isn't so loose that the wheel can contact the housing. Also, ANY in and out play is a bad thing and means you should rebuild the turbo PDQ.
I can't remember on the OBS if the compressor housing cover can be removed with the turbo still installed... I believe it can but don't quote me on that. You'd also have to remove your down pipe and come up with a way to hold the turbine wheel so you can remove the compressor wheel if you decide to go that route. Some guys wrap a screwdriver in duct tape and jam it in the turbine wheel, but many have also messed up the turbine wheel that way. I've heard of guys using a gator grip socket to hold the turbine wheel but not sure if there is enough room to do it with the turbo still installed or not.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:10 AM

shaft play is a pretty big deal. it can go from a little to a lot very quickly.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:36 AM
Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to baderic03
A little shaft play is normal because these turbos use a thrust bearing not a ball bearing so it will have play when it isn't running but at start up with oil pressure it will tighten up.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:07 AM

i should clarify. a little up and down shaft play is normal. but in and out shaft play can get bad in a hurry.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:10 AM
Premium Member

its a lil worn but i have seen a lot worse
Old 04-12-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baderic03 View Post
A little shaft play is normal because these turbos use a thrust bearing not a ball bearing so it will have play when it isn't running but at start up with oil pressure it will tighten up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdeer View Post
i should clarify. a little up and down shaft play is normal. but in and out shaft play can get bad in a hurry.
I guess my post didn't show up on anyone's screen but mine? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty4x4 View Post
The ding isn't doing you any favors but all things considered its really not that bad.
These turbos use a journal bearing that rides on a film of oil, so when the truck is shut off some play in the bearing is completely normal (side to side play that is). The important thing is that it isn't so loose that the wheel can contact the housing. Also, ANY in and out play is a bad thing and means you should rebuild the turbo PDQ.
I can't remember on the OBS if the compressor housing cover can be removed with the turbo still installed... I believe it can but don't quote me on that. You'd also have to remove your down pipe and come up with a way to hold the turbine wheel so you can remove the compressor wheel if you decide to go that route. Some guys wrap a screwdriver in duct tape and jam it in the turbine wheel, but many have also messed up the turbine wheel that way. I've heard of guys using a gator grip socket to hold the turbine wheel but not sure if there is enough room to do it with the turbo still installed or not.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:08 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty4x4 View Post
I guess my post didn't show up on anyone's screen but mine? lol
it wasnt up when i posted sry buddy
Old 04-12-2012, 10:48 AM

haha i didnt see it either. didnt mean to offend by agreeing with you.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:28 AM

LOL I'm not offended...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.