Newbie wanting to buy 7.3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 04:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Newbie wanting to buy 7.3

Hello Everyone!

I am a new member from Ky. I have been on here a few times looking up stuff and decided to join today.

I am looking to buy my first Diesel truck (and my first Ford truck). I am looking at a 97 F350 Dulley, with a 5spd. The truck only has 151,000 on the clock.

I have a few questions.

The only performance problem I can find is that the owner says the truck has a couple of bad injectors. This doesn't bother me so much, once the truck reaches operating temp it runs excellent. Before it reaches operating temp it idles rough and runs like crap. Is this really the injector? Wouldn't it run bad all of the time if the injector was to blame?

The owner has installed a manual glowplug switch. Is there any benefit in this, can I just go back to the key switch way? If the manual way has a benefit how long should I hold the button down?

Also, the clutch is really stiff. When you let out on it, it gets to a point where it just shoves your foot off of it. I am not really used to that, is it normal, can I do any adjustment? I have only driven 1 other truck that was that way and after some getting used to it wasn't such a big deal.

The top of the engine has some diesel that has leaked down on it, but for the most part it seems to be a good truck.

Is there anything else I should be looking for/at? This thing is pretty awesome. It doesn't smoke at all, no white smoke at startup, no blue smoke while idle/running.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2012, 07:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hi Jeff, I'm a newbee too,on here and to diesel's. I bought a 97 E350 w/ the 7.3 w/ 300,000 miles on the clock, the motor itself is way too clean for that kind of mileage. I believe it's a newer crate motor,or rebuilt w/ no more than 50,000
on it.
I must admit, 7.3 DI turbo powerstrokes are extremely powerful, they easily out pull any big block gas duallys I've owned, and they're fast too.

I am not a full-time mechanic, but I've always fixed / worked on my own cars, trucks etc.
It sounds like you do to. What I have learned if nothing else, if you're going buy and or work on powerstrokes you should own or have easy access to a good bi-directional scantool AutoEnginuity (about $400 + a laptop to run it on) or better, there are no cheap scanners that work on powerstrokes. They are priceless, you'll definitely want to have one or have easy access to one. Good diesel / PSD techs do not come cheap,either do parts especially injectors. When they're right, they're great trucks
You need to fairly religious / meticulous w/ maintenance on the motors or they can and will punish you.

There are some phenomenal techs /mechanical wizards here eager to help. I'm sure one or more of them will be along shortly to answer some of your more specific questions
Other than that go for it and good luck. Tom
Old 04-10-2012, 08:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Its possible some RevX would help the injectors but yes, they do tend to be bad when cold and get better when warm. If you can find someone with an AE close by see if you can get them to run a buzz test and a cylinder contribution test for you.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the quick replies. Yes I like to fix things myself. I don't really go for paying someone tons of cash for things I can do/learn to do.

At this time I have decided to back away from this truck. I did find a 95 in a lot better shape. I am going to go check it out this weekend and see what happens. Hopefully I will find something!
Old 04-11-2012, 11:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Old 04-11-2012, 04:22 PM
the baconator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
welcome and goo luck in your search
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.