Getting into OBS diesels - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2012, 07:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Getting into OBS diesels

Okay guys, I'm new here, and new to the diesel world. Alot of this stuff is right over my head, but I am reading as much as I can... so without further ado, the truck I am looking at.
1995 f250 4000 obo

It is in my price range and seems like a nice enough truck. I can see some obvious rust and it needs some work. I just want some general pointers on buying a diesel and just any general little piece of info you all may have,

Thanks, all!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2012, 07:26 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
To me $4k is fair, maybe on the high side considering the rust, miles, and the fact that it appears that the clutch and brake pedal are down to bare metal.

Also looks like the bumper and brushguard are crooked.

If the oil pan itself is leaking, that will be a ***** to replace as the engine must be pulled.

But if it starts, runs, and drives good then it might not be a bad deal.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD3020 View Post
To me $4k is fair, maybe on the high side considering the rust, miles, and the fact that it appears that the clutch and brake pedal are down to bare metal.

Also looks like the bumper and brushguard are crooked.

If the oil pan itself is leaking, that will be a ***** to replace as the engine must be pulled.

But if it starts, runs, and drives good then it might not be a bad deal.
I think you're onto something with that high price assumption... and I drive a ford Gasser right now, I had a really bad leak on the oil pan and had to *gasp* PAY someone to fix it... not my fave but I don't have the space...
Old 04-05-2012, 11:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

4k OBO meaning he obviously will take less if cash is in his hand, i really wouldnt try and lowball him, if the DMF Was converted to SMF, and a new clutch recently, That isn't cheap. But, it all depends on the maker of the SMF and clutch. The body isn't the sexiest OBS but the rust location is very common... But if that truck runs, shifts, and drives reliably its not a bad deal. Go test drive it. Depending on how the previous owners drove it, it could last another 300k miles or could last another 3k miles.......Bring someone who knows a lot about 7.3L's with you. the oil pan leaks, check the picture out and it looks like oil is all over the driveway, could be water, but looks like it came from the truck, take it on a long test drive with the owner, see how much it leaks, if it isn't too bad I wouldnt worry about it, if it loses a quart of oil in 100 miles though then maybe you should wait for the right one to come to you. Dont rush into a truck if you dont have to. I waited over a month before I found the right obs powerstroke for me, but it cost me 8000 and it was in a different state. In the Northwest Diesels are EXPENSIVE used... I have watched them increase in value dramatically over the last 10 years.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Also check for blowby, check for a lopey or hard cold start and see if it has developed a miss, check for a lot of white smoke when starting it check the ball joints out, pretty much thatll do it besides the obvious like check the 4x4, power everything. It has the zf 5 speed which is a good transmission, and desirable with the SMF Conversion. To be honest if the truck sh1tted out on you, you could sell the transmission for a good chunk of money you invested into the truck. and the tool box, transfer case, rear dana 60, etc...

In all honesty buying a used vehicle is always a gamble. Don't matter if it looks perfect because sh1t happens and even a brand new vehicle can sh1t out on you. Best of luck though let us know how it turns out.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:27 AM

I got mine w/ 150k miles, no oil leaks and just a little rust on the driver's fender for 4k. Better deals are out there...you just have to be patient w/ money on hand to jump on the right one
Old 04-06-2012, 07:40 AM

I'm going to look at it this weekend, I think... or so dad says.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:56 AM

I didn't know these truck had Dana 60 rears? Mine has the ford/sterling 10.25?!?!
Old 04-06-2012, 12:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_pace View Post
I didn't know these truck had Dana 60 rears? Mine has the ford/sterling 10.25?!?!
That was a typo sorry i had just got off work and was blabbin before bed. I'm sure there are more mistakes in those posts haha
Old 04-06-2012, 12:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson Bearden View Post
I got mine w/ 150k miles, no oil leaks and just a little rust on the driver's fender for 4k. Better deals are out there...you just have to be patient w/ money on hand to jump on the right one
sounds like i am living on the wrong side of the united states.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.