96 F350 gears - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2007, 06:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
96 F350 gears

I have a 96 F350 PSD. 6inch lift running 36X14.5X16.5s. I am curious about regearing. I don't know much about gearing at all so I'm trying to gain as much info as I can. First of all, what gears does it have in it stock? are they 3.73s? I do tow often, and want a little more low end power. It's slow off of the line. I currently have 4inch Turbo back pipes and thats about it. I plan on a programmer, a new downpipe, and an intake, but I still think I may be interested in regearing. I've gathered that I need to regear both front and rear, I just don't know much else. Is it just ring and pinion gears that need replacing? Or do you have to replace the 3rd member as well? Also what gears would give a good mix of power and MPG? Thanks for any responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2007, 11:00 AM
Living on a prayer

Hello. i'm in Salem, Oregon. i'm considering buying a 1997 F350 crew cab 4x4. there's a metal tag pinned to the rear differential. get that code and do some online searching for ford rear end gears. i know i saw a thread in here somewhere listing codes, too. the truck i'm buying has 4.11 gears, and i would like to have 3.55. or perhaps 3.73. keep me in mind. if you find out that you have 3.55 or 3.73, then 4.11 would give you an improvement. seems lots of guys around here think that even with 3.55 that the 7.3L has enough low end to make it work, and maybe a power chip would help you more. anyways, i'm just barely learning all this stuff, and i don't even know if our axles could swap, but i'll follow this thread and see what folks have to say. scott

p.s. piplayerjdh posted this in another thread "Look at the sticker in the driver side door jamb. Under axle it will have a 2 dig. code."
you can search the forum for words like 3.55 or 4.11 and find gobs of info.

Last edited by samiam; 09-29-2007 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:19 AM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

You probably have 3.55's. If it had 4.10's you would not be thinking about the regear.

4.10's will probably be lower than you want to go, unless you are going to tow a lot. 3.73 will be a little better, but I would do the performance mods first.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:36 AM

Send a message via AIM to Wboy247
it shows your gear ratio on the door where your paint code, etc. is
Old 09-30-2007, 03:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

96 gears

Thats awesome everyone. Thankyou for responding, and I'll keep you in mind Samiam. I really appreciate the info.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:02 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
4.30's would return your truck to stock as far as effective gear ratio is concerned. Dunno if they'll fit a 10.25" though... might have to go with either 4.10's or 4.56's... probably 4.10's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.