help with 5 speed install - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2012, 01:52 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
help with 5 speed install

i had to pull the zf-5 trans from my 94 f350 cc dually to replace the throw out bearing, it blew up last week.. i got everything ready to go back together but cant get the trans bell housing to clear between the truck floor and engine.. im doing it all on the floor of my garage with a motorcycle jack.. it is like i need the engine to lean back more(it is just laying back on the motor mounts rite now), or i need to lift the body up for clearance..i have read it isn't hard to change the trans, but i don't know how i got it out, it sure don't fit going back in too well.. what am i doing wrong?? is there some tricks i don't know about??

i tried knocking the floor weld up with a sledge hammer,it didn't do much good. i just need a few inches for the main shaft to slip in to the clutch and the bell housing to move forward past the firewall/floor weld

i am going to go back out and try some more.. i would appreciate any comments because im sure i will be back in here for tips before i get it done.. thanks..

Last edited by j1mmy; 03-30-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2012, 01:54 PM
spool up that turbo!!

On my SD I gotta go in then up in then up in then up quite a few times to get the input shaft in
Old 03-30-2012, 07:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

put a jack on the crank and lift the front of the motor up
Old 03-30-2012, 07:58 PM

i got it done.. the engine was leaning forwards, every trans i have ever done, when you dont support the engine, it leans way back, this one was the opposite, a powerstroke must be front heavy because i jacked the front up, and had 4-5 inches to clear the floor pan. i hope i never have to do that again.. while i had the trans out, i took the case off and resealed the nosecone..it was full of some 90w sludge, no wonder it was so hard to shift till it got hot.. put atf mercon 5 in and now i can shift with two fingers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.