Serpentine Belt Fraying F-350 PSD 97 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2012, 08:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Serpentine Belt Fraying F-350 PSD 97

Need a little advice / information about Serpentine Belt Tensioner and pulley alignment. IM fraying the belt( two new belts) to the point that it's throwing stringers off IM suspecting a bad idler and tension pulley. I changed out the Alternator and Power Steering Pump recently and now I have belt issues. The tensioner and idler are original so I suspect they need to be replaced.

Question.... pulley alignment what's the best way to guage for alignment with Water Pump and Crank if I didn't get the Power steering pulley correctly positioned? Is it easy to remove the Tensioner assembly or necessary ? Gotta be an easy fix, just need a little advice from someone that's had the problem.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2012, 08:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

just throwing it out there,but since you replaced the alt. and power steering pump are they identical pulleys as the originals? I believe there is 6 and 8 rib setups.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:35 PM

The very early PSDs (like my 94) had the 7-rib belts. The ones after that have the 8-rib. If the tensioner is bad, you should be able to see it tilted off to the side easily. More llikely the power stering pump pulley is out of line. My 97 kept shredding the inner rib (closest to the engine) of belts. After numerous belts, new tensioner, etc. all I needed to do was pull the PS pump pulley out about 2mm and problem solved. Use one of the pullers that are made for power steering pumps. Cheers!
Old 03-28-2012, 08:36 PM

The PS Pump I used the original pulley, as for the Alternator I bought it at a Ford Dealer and they installed a new pulley for me because it went out while I was on traveling out of town. I didn't realize there are 7 & 8 ribbed pulleys. I'll check to see if it matches the ribs on the idler.

Appreciate the feedback and this a good item to check, very easily Ford sold me the wrong pulley.

Thanks
Old 03-28-2012, 08:39 PM

Since you posted about the same time (just after), read my post above. Cheers!
Old 03-28-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Feeley View Post
The very early PSDs (like my 94) had the 7-rib belts. The ones after that have the 8-rib. If the tensioner is bad, you should be able to see it tilted off to the side easily. More llikely the power stering pump pulley is out of line. My 97 kept shredding the inner rib (closest to the engine) of belts. After numerous belts, new tensioner, etc. all I needed to do was pull the PS pump pulley out about 2mm and problem solved. Use one of the pullers that are made for power steering pumps. Cheers!
Thanks.... That's where my belt is shredding, engine side. I have the pulley removal tool as that's what I used to install the pulley onto the new Pump. If it's shredding the outside edge (engine side ) wouldn't the pulley be out too far and need to to be pushed further onto the shaft? I should have measured the damn thing before I removed it off the OEM Pump. Anyway I'll cheeck the ribs on the alternator for a match adjust the PS Pulley.

Thanks
Old 03-29-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350ninty7 View Post
Thanks.... That's where my belt is shredding, engine side. I have the pulley removal tool as that's what I used to install the pulley onto the new Pump. If it's shredding the outside edge (engine side ) wouldn't the pulley be out too far and need to to be pushed further onto the shaft? I should have measured the damn thing before I removed it off the OEM Pump. Anyway I'll cheeck the ribs on the alternator for a match adjust the PS Pulley.

Thanks
I agree that its the pulley of the pump. Didnt the pulley has a "mark" where the serpentine belt has runned?

And yes I think it need to be pushed further onto the shaft IMHO.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:26 PM

Need some info on Belt Size. I changed out the OEM Tensioner on my 97 which is a two pulley tensioner and Napa sold me the gates 081223. This is the same number that I removed because it was frayed and now the new belt 081223 won't begin to fit. I still had the OEM Mororcraft Belt in my garage that is saved a spare and it fit perfect problem is the part number is worn off. I think my issue with frayed belts within 5 - 6000 miles Napa 081223 is because they arre too small and the tensioner is too tight?

Napa is telling me that the 081223 is the belt required? That belt will not go on the new tensioner. Anyone running the OEM Dual Pulley Tensioner on their 97's. Ford dealer at the last resort. Anyone have a problem like this? Motorcraft Part #?
Old 03-31-2012, 10:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

i have the same tensioner and 081223 is the belt i have.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/att...-tensioner.pdf

This was passed on by a member when i started a similar thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.