Just picked a 4x4 with a few problems... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2012, 09:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just picked a 4x4 with a few problems...

Like the title says i recently purchased a 95 that the right front wheel was allegedly ran with loose lug nuts and cracked the wheel. There is a loud popping noise every now and then in the front.

Problems:
4wd only works in reverse
I replaced the rim and as you can see in the picture (hopefully) the wheel is still leaning inward.

Does it look like i'm in for a whole new front end? Any ideas? Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2012, 10:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Welcome to the org. I have no idea on the 4x4 only in reverse but the poping sound is more than likely your axle u joints are bad and I would say its time for ball joints the way its leaning
Old 03-26-2012, 12:49 PM

Attach the pics with the "attachment" feature (paper clip icon above the editor window); whatever foreign site carries those pics is blocked here, and may be blocked for many other members.

Auto or manual hubs? And can you elaborate on "works"? Going forward, do the front axle shafts and/or driveshaft turn?
Old 03-26-2012, 05:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sorry about the pics...I attached the one of the wheel.

It has auto hubs. I've got a really bad fuel leak coming from a busted hose i need to get fixed before i move it around anymore. It's pouring out pretty bad. I didn't think to look at any of the axles moving or anything. I was basing on the fact that i couldn't get it to go on the trailer forward. The back tires just kept spinning. Turned it around and back it on and it went straight on.

When i get the fuel leak fixed I'll check to see whats moving or not.
Attached Thumbnails
Just picked a 4x4 with a few problems...-front.jpg  
Old 03-26-2012, 05:26 PM

do you already know which hose it is? the 3 short ones from the pump to the fuel filter are known for leaking
Old 03-26-2012, 06:01 PM
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!

i belive the auto lock hubs would be your problem with the 4x4 only working in reverse...

as for the poping noises, could be a u-joint..... or....... the center pivit bushings are shot and thats why your tires are leaning inwerd!! TTBs are JUNK!! thats why we all DANA 60 swap them with a solid axle. they may be ok under a bronco but not under a 7.3... 600lbs VS 1100 lbs sitting on top of it!
Old 03-26-2012, 06:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by erics diesel View Post
do you already know which hose it is? the 3 short ones from the pump to the fuel filter are known for leaking
Yeah, its one of those right in front of the fuel filter. Looks like its going to be a pain getting it off. Seemed kinda tight. This is my first ever diesel to wrench on, can i pick up one of those hoses at the local auto store?

Quote:
as for the poping noises, could be a u-joint..... or....... the center pivit bushings are shot and thats why your tires are leaning inwerd!! TTBs are JUNK!! thats why we all DANA 60 swap them with a solid axle. they may be ok under a bronco but not under a 7.3... 600lbs VS 1100 lbs sitting on top of it!
Showing my ignorance here but the guy i bought it from said it was a dana 60. I didn't ask or anything, guess he just brought it up as a selling point. I'm guessing you seen the pic and could tell its not eh? Are all 60's the same? guess i could compare it to the front end of my 2500 ram. It's got a dana 60.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:11 PM
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!

nope it a DANA 50 TTB...... you got shafted a little my friend !! you can rebuild her abut the problem will always come back sooner then you will want it to.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well i only gave $1100 for the truck so...

Guess i might as well try to source a 60 instead of rebuilding it. Any specific year truck i should look for?
Old 03-26-2012, 11:18 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
a 95 d60 would be perfect lol, but 87-97 are gonna be same bolt pattern, then you have you options of king pin and ball joint, something like that, and its a d50, the d60 is a single mono beam axle, where as if you look in the middle your will notice that there is a pivot point in the center, there is a thread on removal of the fuel bowl that will show you how to remove and fix your lines, its under the problem forum, its a sticky at the top, not a bad deal, and i think why your stroke went on the trailer in reverse better than forward is because it was pulling up on it instead of pushing up, make sure its working in 4x4 period tho, welcome to the org and good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.