Are these the symptoms of my Dual Mass Flywheel going bad??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2012, 07:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Are these the symptoms of my Dual Mass Flywheel going bad???

Just picked up my dream truck lastnight it's a 95 Powerstroke 4x4 5speed with 130k miles. Bought it in a different state and drove it back, noise coming from transmission not bad like grinding or hideous noise but sounds like a heater turned on all the way? I put the clutch all the way in and the sound goes away, and when I hit about 70mph on the highway it would vibrate somewhat, slowed to 60mph and it was fine, its probably the hardest vehicle to drive I have ever owned and this is my 14th vehicle all where 5 speeds. After doing research I am to believe that the dual mass flywheel is ****ting out on me, because its weird to shift, pedals somewhat hard but not to bad, but it doesnt like shifting smooth, It makes me feeling like I was learning to use a manual all over again it shakes a little bit when I turn it off maybe lasting 1 second, But maybe thats just what diesels do this is my first diesel and am new to them.

Did my research and I am nearly certain I need to convert to a Single Mass flywheel as the first thing I do, and throw away this Dual mass. I am now afraid to drive it any longer because I seen pictures of these destroying bell-housings. No thanks to that... What is the absolute best setup for my truck brand wise on the clutch/flywheel/throwout bearing... What else should I replace while its yanked out? I was told you can take a cover off and wiggle the flywheels and if they move there bad. Would this have to be in neutral or in gear. Also my 1st gear tops out at about 5mph is it okay to just use 2nd gear to start moving in? It has a shift nob so I don't know if my 1st gear says 1st or if it says L for low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2012, 08:31 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Remove the inspection cover and try counterrotating the masses against each other. Measure the distance of the counterrotation at the rim. Anything more than 5/8" and the FW is bad. If you replace it with the SMFW system, replace the throwout bearing (some kits come with new ones) and the clutch release lever (about $20) too. I liked the SouthBend Con-O SMFW setup in my 94, although I wasn't totally sold on the Kevlar pilot bushing. I always started in 2nd unless I was towing my fifthwheel. Cheers!
Old 03-19-2012, 09:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Re. launch from a dead stop, depends on what diff ratio. With 4.10s, you can probably start in second whenever you're unloaded. With 3.55s, launching in second is a bit of a climb, even unloaded. With a "rolling stop", even if you're just slightly moving, second is fine.

Nice find, BTW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.