460 to 7.3 powerstroke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2012, 08:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
460 to 7.3 powerstroke

Hey everyone my name is mike im new here. Im a deisel mechanic by trade mostly durriving Cat and cummins engines in our trucks with a few DT444 internationals under my belt. Anyway i have a new project about to go underway and desperatly seek some wisdom from those who have attemted this. HERE WE GO:
I have a sweet 1996 F250HD with a gas 460 and a ZF5 speed. Now i have a 1994 dually with a powerstroke and im going to do an engine swap. The electronics look to be plug and play but thats most likely not the case. My questions ae will the powerstroke bolt to the ZF5 bigblock or do i have to drill out some holes? Also what flywheel and clutch should i purchase. Also what wiring feats will i encounter? Is it best to change out EVERYTHING? or does just a few things need to be tampered with like gauges, tach, etc. I have a doner truck so parts arnt a issue. Im guessing engine, motor mounts, clutch, adapter plate if necessary, flywheel, fuel tanks swap??? wiring, radiator, any advice? I have some time to do it not a ton but some. Thanks a lot pics will be posted as progress goes underway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2012, 08:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The truck the stroker is going in is a 4wd with a 4" lift by the way with twin traction beam.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:17 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
most all the wiring is different, the diesel has a pcm as well that needs to be swapped in, if your good just swap tail shafts on the tranny's and boom, you got 4x4
Old 03-09-2012, 05:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ANY HELP before i dive in?
Old 03-09-2012, 09:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The wiring in the dash has to be swapped, the entire fuel system has to be swapped, all the under hood wiring has to be swapped...
The gasser trans won't bolt to the PSD block... different bolt pattern I believe.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:00 AM

Bellhousing on the 460 transmission won't mate up with the 7.3
IIRC it would be easier to swap the tail housing and output shaft from the 4x4 460 to the 4x2 7.3.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:04 PM

this is just me thinking out loud but would it be easier to swap the cabs and front clips from one to the other and save all of the rewiring and switching the radiator support and all of that from one to the other
Old 03-11-2012, 05:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am doing the same swap now. my truck is a 1996 f 250 crew cab 4x4 460 powered. The only difference is mine is E4OD. I bought a 1995 powerstroke 5spd. 2wd crew cab drw. I have just finished stripping the 95 donor truck and from what I can see so far you need to change all the wiring behind the dash, under the hood and possibly the chassis harness headed to the rear of the truck due to the diesel having a switch valve and no pumps in the tanks. the 1996 harness has no extra plug for the switch valve. I think the tanks are the same but will have to change the pick ups and all fuel lines and the core support as well because the radiator is bigger on a diesel than a gas. I bought a rebuilt 4x4 transmission and am going to swap the pedals,shifters hydraulics etc. If you have a complete donor truck it is just a matter of swapping enough parts to make it work. I have about 10 hours in stripping the donor and I hope to have the swap completed in another 30 or so hours. Hope this helps.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:52 PM

I did min last year you will have to swap all the wiring other than what runs in the cab like light speakers and such I had to build fuel pickups and some other things but my donor was lb and mine is sb good luck its not to bad and well worth it

put a single mass flywheel in wile its apart
Old 03-11-2012, 09:14 PM

if changing out everything means doing it right then you should

i swapped a 97 7.3 into my 89
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.