help!!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2012, 03:09 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
help!!!!

ok so i have a 97 f 250. i just installed 35's and changed the gear ratio from 3.55 to 4.11's. the tranny is shifting weird , so i went to ford to have them reprogram my pcm/speedometer for these changes.. they said the cant do that.. So how do i go about doing this to get the speedo right..?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2012, 04:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The no reprogramming of the speedometer for the gear change (the gears don't matter). You do need to reprogram it for the 35's and here's how (from Steve Baz's Tips and Tricks page):

Quote:
Recalibrate Your Speedometer After Changing Tire Size

There is no tire size/code chart because tire size vs. actual tire dimensions are different between manufacturers. Even between the same tire size and same maker there will be a difference in actual size between the different tread designs.

The Ford calibration equation is:
20186 / tire height in inches = some number, then: some number /.6666 = program code

Example:
Start with 20186, divide by actual tire size in inches. Divide again by .6666

You want to use a rolling measurement to get your actual tire height (If you try to measure the tire in the driveway, use conversion charts, or anything else you will end up with an inaccurate reading again). Use your rear tire since the sensor is located there. Mark the ground and your tire and roll forward 3 times marking the ground each time. (I ran over a spot of oil at a local gas station and measured between my tread mark prints), then divide that number by three to get the average length of one revolution (this will protect yourself against a bad reading using just one revolution). You can then divide the length of one revolution by 3.14 to get actual tire height. Be careful in your measurements, a small amount will change the code. EX: 31.69" tire height is code 956, and 31.21" tire height is code 970.

Now, to program it into your truck:

Warning: You can only change the calibration 6 times without replacing the module.

To set the calibration, ground the single wire connector under the glove box it says PSOM (Programable Speedometer Opdometer Module). �Yes there is only one and it has a spade type plug on the end". I used a wire with clips on both ends to ground the plug to a screw under the dash or try a test light and use the clip end to the PSOM and the other jam in a dooe hinge. Now look at your speedometer on the face of your dash while sitting in the drivers seat and there should be a "reset" button and a "select" button. While holding the reset button in on the trip meter, turn the ignition to 'on' while the wire is still grounded. Let go of the reset button. The speedometer display will sweep once and will show a code of some kind then push in again the "reset" button and the existing code will be displayed with RECAL?, mine said 976 RECAL? Now you enter your new code you came up with by dividing the rolling measurement by PI or 3.14 by pushing the "select" button until it gets to the new calibration code number. You may have to push �select� a whole bunch of times until you get to your code. If you turn off the key at this point the original code will not be changed or any of the 6 lives will not be used. To store your new code press �Reset�. Turn off the key. Unplug the ground wire. To check the new calibration, use the mile markers on the interstate. Run an indicated 60 mph and it should take exactly 60 seconds to go 1 mile.
Cheers!
Old 03-09-2012, 05:42 PM
Hillbilly Deluxe

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I have had several powerstrokes with the E4OD and all were lifted and I NEVER recalibrated the Speedo.

The E4OD is completly computer controlled and shifting has nothing to do with your Speedo. It uses the VSS, engine RPMs, and line pressure to determine shifting.

Heres what you need to do... Disconnect battaries overnight to reset PCM. Then reconnect and drive conservatively for a few days. This will give the trans/pcm a chance to adjust to the new tire size...

Sent from my SPH-D710 using AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.