good deal? need opinions quick! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 10:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
good deal? need opinions quick!

well im about to go take a look at this truck that i found online for what i think is a pretty good deal.

its a white 1994 powerstroke extended cab long bed 4x4 5 speed that the guy wants 1200 bucks for, he said it has around 200k on it which is no where near the 385k i had on my last obs. he claims it needs a computer, so im pretty much diving into this truck blind because my guess is no computer, no start. so i wont even know how this thing runs or if it runs.

my question is where can i find a computer and how much do they usually go for? and would you guys find this as a good deal? i figured if the engine is toast i can part it out? his post says obo so i can get the price down a little bit, and i live in arizona so rust isnt even a question. anyway, let me know what you guys think, should i go ahead and try to save this truck while i can?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2012, 10:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

sounds like a pretty good deal to me
Old 03-04-2012, 10:57 AM

Confirm that it's a PSD. Can you bring a spare PCM?
Old 03-04-2012, 11:12 AM

Bring a spare PCM if you can.
All things considered, for $1200 I'd gamble on the truck. Worst case scenario is nothing works and you end up parting it out.
PS engines go for roughly $1000 as a core.
ZF-5 will get you roughly $400 as a core.
Front and Rear axles $400-$1200 depending on Dana 50 vs. 60
You get the idea. I'd guess somewhere in the ballpark of $2500 in core pieces and scrap metal.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

well guys thank you for the input, its greatly appreciated. i ended up taking my dad with me who is a powerstroke nut, found out that the pcm isnt exactly the problem. its a converted 5 speed, so it used to be an automatic, so of course the pcm wont work.

long story short, i ended up buying the truck for 800 bucks cash. took it home and already got it to crank over by jumping the starter solenoid. so i know the truck isnt froze, but still dont know if it runs. also plugged the batterys back up and found out the truck only has 164000 miles. all power options, just gonna start tearing into the truck and start bringing it back to life. but may end up parting it out if i get to far in over my head.

also my sister has a 1997 f250 extended cab long bed 4x4 but its a 460 gasser that my dad gave her to drive when he bought his superduty. its black and clean as can be. and were already talking about a transplant to make one nice truck. but id rather get the thing running and have my dream come true. im already in love with the truck as its my 6th obs powerstroke and im only 17
Old 03-04-2012, 07:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

also, ill post some pictures up tomorrow to see what you all think of it, and keep everyone updated on how its coming along. worst come to worst, ill part it out and you guys will be the first ones to know, just let me know what you want and where you want it shipped.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:54 PM

Where are you located? I'd gladly take that zf-5 off your hands for a fair price if you do decide to part it out
Old 03-05-2012, 07:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

i am located in mesa, arizona. where would i start a part out thread?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.