big ideas with manual zf5 swap to different trans - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2012, 07:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
big ideas with manual zf5 swap to different trans

i have a 96 7.3 250 4x4 with the notorious zf5 and i was thinking...... has anyone ever tried to swap the manual z to a manual trans from a old school manual that goes to a 6.9? im looking around for any ideas here on the subject. ive had the z rebuilt 2 times in about 10 months. im just getting pissed bc im tired of spending a couple grand to fix the garbage *** 3rd sincro and the 3rd gear. i was told that it keeps breaking a snapring and thats whats pushing everything out of plum a guy at work had one a long time ago and he said that the case in the trans is stretched and thats y the snapring keeps breaking. any ideas would b awsome. plus the motor is all great and good to go i havent had any major problems with it at all and it has 240k on the motor (knock on wood) either its a good motor or just dumb luck. thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2012, 08:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

zf5 is one of the best trans ever made. A 6.9 trans would be a huge step back. If you keep having this problem I'd expect an issue in your clutch pedal linkage bearing which means the clutch isn't fully released when you shift, your trans is somehow bent, or your rebuilder doesn't know as much as he thinks. These trans are fairly easy to rebuild and several have done it at home. I'd highly suggest you check your clutch linkage for a worn out bushing before you blame the trans. If its warn out search for " ford clutch fix" on ebay and it should pull up a kit with a helm joint.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:18 AM

Would never put a transmission designed around the 6.9 behind a powerstroke. You'd be taking a transmission rated for 170HP/340TQand attatching it to an engine capable of putting down easily 50 HP and 100 lb/ft of torque more.
6.9 transmissions didn't last because they were overbuilt, they lasted because the engine was underpowered.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:56 AM

You need to have shims to set mainshaft bearing preload. I'd be taking that tranny somewhere else. Even if the case was stretched, the input shaft pocket bearing would suffer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.