D60 question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2012, 03:00 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
D60 question

Hey

I am rounding up the parts for my swap '93 D60-'97 and was wondering if there is any benefit to swapping to newer D60 knuckles for '97 style brake hardware?

I found some knuckles but they seem a little spendy.

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks
wreckmaster
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2012, 04:37 PM
Diesel Freak

I have a 93 d60 and the rotors are smaller than the newer year models
Old 02-18-2012, 06:39 PM
Premium Member

Are you wanting the bolt on caliper vs. the ones that use the pin things?(not sure what the correct term is).
Old 02-18-2012, 09:26 PM

Thanks for the replys.

kramarj yes that is exactly what I was thinking. All my equipment off my '97 D50 is in good shape so I was thinking about swapping out '93 knuckles for '97 knuckles and use my brake stuff (if it will work better than earlier years). But on the other hand I can buy all new '93 components for a little less than what the knuckles would cost.

Decisions Decisions

Thanks
Old 02-18-2012, 09:46 PM
Premium Member

I am in the exact same boat. I too have a 93' D60 and a 97'. I would like to find out if this is possible, although I am almost positive that parts won't interchange. It would just be nice to get brakes for a 97' and not have to remember the front end is another year. It might just be easier to get a 97' front end, they aren't all that common around me though. Plus I am weird and would like the front end to match the year of the truck.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:01 PM

All D50 parts from the knuckle out are the same as D60 '95-'97 with the exception of the spindle which can be used but is just a touch shorter. I am pretty sure you can swap knuckles from any ball jointed ford D60.

kramarj I know what you mean about wanting to keep stuff the same year. Especially when it comes to getting parts.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

In case anyone is interested, I still have a D60 kingpin in the corner of the garage waiting to find a loving home. I need some greenbacks to buy a used spool gun for my engine driven welder... a local truck body company wants me to do a whole bunch of 1/8" aluminum beds and I spent twice as much time as I needed to finish the first truck by constantly unjamming my push-only wirefeed machine.

Will deliver for the cost of fuel round trip plus 50 bucks for burning a day off.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:54 PM
the baconator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
you can swap older knuckles 92-95 and newer ones 96-97. I think you can even swap with the new 99+ dana 60s. I don;t know if there is any advantage to the newer brakes through they are slightly larger. You can also grind down the new rotors and make them fit the older style calipers. to me it's not worth swapping knuckles

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramarj View Post
Are you wanting the bolt on caliper vs. the ones that use the pin things?(not sure what the correct term is).
slide pin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekfinn View Post
In case anyone is interested, I still have a D60 kingpin in the corner of the garage waiting to find a loving home. I need some greenbacks to buy a used spool gun for my engine driven welder... a local truck body company wants me to do a whole bunch of 1/8" aluminum beds and I spent twice as much time as I needed to finish the first truck by constantly unjamming my push-only wirefeed machine.

Will deliver for the cost of fuel round trip plus 50 bucks for burning a day off.
location may help
Old 02-21-2012, 06:55 PM

terry

Thanks for the reply. I think that I am going to use the '93 hardware. It will end up being about $100 dollars cheaper buying all new '93 equipment than just buying the knuckles alone. I thought there may have been an advantage to using the newer hardware with braking and such.

Does anyone know how well the slide pins hold up? Is there anything I need to know about them?

thanks

wreckmaster
Old 02-21-2012, 06:57 PM
the baconator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i've never had problems with them, but i have heard of them breaking and working their way loose. if your current rotors are good you can reuse them if you grind a little off the outside edge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.