Possibly buying powerstroke, advice/help needed - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 12:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Possibly buying powerstroke, advice/help needed

Hey everyone, I'm looking at a 97 powerstroke with 107k miles on it. The truck seems to be overall in nice shape. However, there seems to be more blowby than usual, judging by videos I've seen on youtube. I did put the oil cap on top to see if it was blowing off, but it didn't seem to. I'd like to bring a ping pong ball when I go to look at it again to see what happens with that. Is the pressure coming out the real issue, rather than how much smoke? Also, there was some oil on the oil pan. I took a picture, but it's not too great. I was wondering if it's also something to be worried about.
http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/2...0213121343.jpg

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2012, 01:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

It doesn't seem like a crazy amount of oil. Did you pull off the turbo boot and look in there for dusting of your turbo fins? Is it manual, or auto?
Old 02-16-2012, 01:40 PM

if the oil cap stays on there it should be fine.
see if you can figure out where the oil is coming from, doesn't look like a very big leak
Old 02-16-2012, 01:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Nope, I didn't do that, but I will look into that. I don't know too much... especially about diesels. Auto... the tranny was rebuilt in October. The transmission pan was wet too... not dripping, but it was wet. The truck seem to run and drive nice... I made sure the truck was cold when I got there, it started up nice, didn't seem to have any smoking issues besides a quick puff of smoke upon starting. After I took it for a drive and pulled the oil cap off, the amount of blowby is what concerned me. It wasn't puffing out, just a steady stream.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:40 PM

Here is my opinion on these trucks. Blue book is just a suggestion. These trucks will only remain about the same or go up in value. A rebuilt motor is esssentially a brand new $30k diesel truck (especially with the mods you mentioned).

My opinion, it is hard to go wrong buying one of these, outside of it having several major issues. That is if you have a good mech or can do it yourself. My mech has been doing work for my family and I for about 4 years now. I do most of my own maintenance outside of something like a motor rebuild, that is outside of my abilities and tools. I asked him about it and he said that he could do it for $1,500 "depending if I wanted a new cam, crank etc.) Now if you look for a FOMOCO engine master overhaul kit it is right at about $1k, so $500 for labor is not all that bad. Now that includes me helping in any way I can as I want to learn not just pay to have it done. Hell I saw a motor the other day with 41k miles that a dude picked up back in 00 or so, and was gonna keep the low mileager around for his tow truck. Never needed it and upgraded tow truck so he was selling the motor for 1k, injectors, turbo, hpop etc.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The asking price is actually well below book value, and it comes with a plow. I do have a mechanic that is reasonable. I'm gonna go take another look at the truck tomorrow if possible.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:07 PM

As said, it depends on where the oil leak is coming from. See that flywheel inspection plate just aft of the oil pan? Remove it, and look at the back surface of the pan. And look at the cover. The front of the cover has a "flange" that juts forward, and the edge comes right up to the oil pan, and over time, it can "saw" through the pan. You can buy an expensive replacement cover that doesn't have that flange, or you can grind/snip it off. The oil might also be coming from above, from the topside of the engine. How does it look around the base of the dipstick tube, and around the oil filter?

Actually, that plate looks new; the one visible bolt certainly looks new. Hmmm.....
Old 02-16-2012, 03:23 PM

Damn MP you know your stuff. I was noticing some shine under there too, which is not common unless there has been something replaced. Good eye bud!
Old 02-16-2012, 03:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
As said, it depends on where the oil leak is coming from. See that flywheel inspection plate just aft of the oil pan? Remove it, and look at the back surface of the pan. And look at the cover. The front of the cover has a "flange" that juts forward, and the edge comes right up to the oil pan, and over time, it can "saw" through the pan. You can buy an expensive replacement cover that doesn't have that flange, or you can grind/snip it off. The oil might also be coming from above, from the topside of the engine. How does it look around the base of the dipstick tube, and around the oil filter?

Actually, that plate looks new; the one visible bolt certainly looks new. Hmmm.....
The oil pan was actually replaced within the last year or so... I think he said it rusted out. I'll have to look again, but I believe it was clean around the oil filter and I'll take a look around the dipstick tube.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:31 PM

Don't let white smoke coming from the oil fill tube scare you off. This will happen with any vehicle and is the reason we need a CCV (crank case vent). Heat of combustion causes oil to vaporize and expand. If the oil fill cap stays overtop the hole, and doesn't float like an air hockey puck you're golden. Really what you're looking for is combustion gasses 'blowing-by' the pistons rings and pressurized the crank case beyond acceptable levels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.