Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Exhaust leak/Lacks Power

899 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  reeseracing23 
#1 ·
Well.... I say lacks power, but its pretty strong for what it is. List of Mods: Edge Evo Race tune, 3"DP to 5" cat back, 6637 Air filter, EBPV tied full open and guages. When I go WOT it will make around 12-14 lbs around 26-2800 rpm and top out 1250 on the EGT's around the 3100 rev limiter. I have gotten 18 lbs out of it but its intermittent. I datalog the EBP and its around 1:1 boost to exhaust back pressure so I know its not a post turbo restriction. I am too lazy to lay under it and look for a sooted exhaust leak, but I have checked the manifold bolts and none are broken/missing. From reading on here there seams to be leaks at the manifold to up pipes, and leaks from the up pipes to y manifold.

My question...

Is it throwing money after bad fixing the current/possible exhaust leaks OR do I save that money and upgrade the turbo, etc for a Super Duty unit?

#3 ·
Well, by my meaning of throwing money after bad is... Is it smarter to just upgrade now or in the near future than fixing it just to remove it later in modifying the truck.

The truck is my bulletproof tow rig. I use it as a DD half the week and I use it to tow an open car trailer with my street strip car. I am always in the search for more power, but I don't want to make power at the cost reliability.

I do have a buddy with an F-150 and we are always going back and forth on who is faster so I'm down now and I need to get back on top.

#4 ·
Heck, if you don't mind spending the money, just throw on a new turbo. Not sure what kind to get though. Not sure if stock sticks will even spin anything much bigger.

#5 ·
Stocker, SD Turbo, E99 unit, GT47-88??

#7 ·
mine was doing the same thing, i finally got tired of chasing my tail and bought new injectors, all 8. if you have access to a scanner, check the icp and do a cct to see if you have any cylinders down. mine had good oil press(2500-3000 psi) and the buzz test proved good, but that only test the coils on the injectors. i checked everything i could and finally just put stage ones in it and now i need more fuel. go figure. it will boost 30 psi now even with the fp dropping to 28 psi.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.