HELP - can someone tell me if i wired this toggle switch right??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 07:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HELP - can someone tell me if i wired this toggle switch right???

i bought all the stuff i need for my little "clamp mod" project. i wanted to make it neat, and self contained, so i bought the smallest project box from radio shack to put everything in. the method im using (or trying to use) is the one with the stacked diodes and 1 resistor. so the circuit i built is as follows --1k resistor/diode/diode/diode --
the resistor needs to face the ICP side, the last diode faces the ground.

(see attached pic)

i also want to use a lighted rocker switch so i know when this thing is on, and so i can leave it off for normal driving. its been a while since ive played with one of these, and im confusing myself cause its not like im hooking up fog lights or somethin.

anyway - the switch has 3 prongs - 12v/ load / earth . the way i have it wired, and im assuming will work is like this.

12v - keyed 12v power (im assuming this is only to power the light on the switch)

load - i will run a wire hooked into the ICP via a 3m "T" solderless connector. the other end of that wire enters my module box, and is connected to the resistor side of my circuit. the other end of that circuit, the diode side - is connected to the "load" prong.

earth - will be ran to a chassis ground point. if im correct, both the light in my switch, and the circuit ive made will both utalize this ground wire to close their respective circuits.

so what im trying to accomplish, if this is wired correct is this.
switch off - (light off) and normal ICP operation
switch on - (light on) and modified ICP operation

can someone tell me for sure if i have this all correct or if i need to rewire this switch before i install? thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
HELP - can someone tell me if i wired this toggle switch right???-icp-module.jpg   HELP - can someone tell me if i wired this toggle switch right???-icp-module2.jpg  

Last edited by kctyphoon; 02-13-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2012, 07:46 PM

I doubt many people will know about this. It was a popular mod back in the day until it was found out to wreck stuff.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:06 PM

Explain that a little better.
it looks by the pic (im on a phone so its kinda small) that you have all three diodes in series?
the switch, from what i think is 12v meaning source voltage, load meaning what your controlling, and earth for ground for the light in switch.
What you have doesnt look right to me but i could be thinking in a complete different direction.

Like said though, not a great mod. Better to buy a chip.

Sometimes if im stuck on wiring i draw out a diagram of what i want or what i have to further understand what the hell im doing!!! Lol
Old 02-13-2012, 09:09 PM

Wait on what i said about being wrong, i think im thinking of something else.

I would still just draw a diagram so you have everything in front of you. Its easier to study and find mistakes.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:00 PM

i just got done playing with a digital multimeter. im thinking now that i either have to rewire the switch , and give up having the light - or ill have to buy another switch that doesnt have one..

reason being that im not trying to supply power to the sensor, im trying to TAKE power from the sensor. they way its hooked up now is going to send 12v to the icp, and thats not what i need..

so now im thinking that the correct way would be this

12v - hooked up to icp sensor. (via a 3m solderless "t" splice)

load - not used ( cause im not trying to send power anywhere)

ground - hooked up first to the resistor side of the circuit, with the diode end going to chassis ground.

really the switch i have is not really the best one for this application, but im gonna use it now since its in there.

EDIT - i rewired this thing they way i just described. should be fine, and if anything the LED in the switch should come on very dim, and then brighten when i hit the gas and increase the voltage coming from the ICP

I messed myself up cause im thinking of how i hooked up all the other switches on my truck, but this is doing something entirely different..

Last edited by kctyphoon; 02-13-2012 at 10:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.