Vacuuming oil out - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 02:33 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Vacuuming oil out

I read this on another forum. How do you do this? What do you gain?

"I suck a qt out, run the engine for a short time, suck another qt, and repeat once more.. The oil pan holds 16 qts, but it's actually a 19 qt system..

You'll notice the truck running quite a bit smoother when ya do it...."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2012, 02:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The people who said it are dumb.
The high pressure oil pump reservoir holds a quart or so, as well as the oil rail. So a normal oil change will not change this oil. The kicker is, the low pressure oil pump pumps oil into that reservoir so it is always circulating oil. Yea, it may help a tad, but it's pointless. If you're pulling open the reservoir, sure, go for it. But there's no need at all.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:58 PM

thinking the same...thought there was something out there that was new or better. After an oil change, fresh new oil runs through the system and is introduced to what little oil is left. Not enough to cause worry or concern.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:02 PM

Exactly how it works.
oh and btw
Old 02-13-2012, 09:56 PM

x2.
You can't hurt the engine by changing out the oil in hpop res/oil rail.
But people who claim not doing so will cause catasrophic failure have spent too much time huffing their fuel additive.

Last edited by backwoodsboy; 02-13-2012 at 10:40 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:32 PM

if you search youtube, you will find a video or two from people that have seperatly extracted oil both from the pan, and from the hpop reservior. they place a small sample of each in seperate plastic cups, and do a side by side comparison swishing the cups around, and video the behavior of the oil inside. granted - this is very low tech - but even still, there is a definate and obvious differnce between the behavior of the oil.
think of it this way - you are constantly filling, and re-filling your fuel tanks. by the same principle, your tanks should be totally flushed and clean inside, but if you were to drop you tanks, you will no doubt find all the sludge and sh-t that has settled onto the bottom. the same applies here. the heavier and worst of the oil will collect on the bottom, and given its properties will tend not to mix or empty into the pan. the thinner oil flows, the heavier sits.
if you ask around you will find that most people that do not belive in this, have never tried it, and examined what came out. there have been people amazed about what was pumped out from the reservior from a truck that has never had it done before.
if nothing else, think of it as taking one more step to protecting your injectors. if you can spend a few minutes that even has a chance of saving you thousands, why not do it.
now im NOT saying that ignoring it will harm your truck. but the reality is that if you dont do it, your leaving behind old oil. even though its only quart, i highly doubt you would screw you pan drain plug back in while it was still draining. your doing exactly that. why take the chance?
the trend on the message boards seems to be that its not necessary, or even dumb. all i can tell you is i do it every oil change and i have a 17 year old truck that still runs PERFECT on its original injectors. you will have to decide for youself how much that is worth to you.
yours might very well be clean inside the reservior - but the idea here is to keep it that way.

Last edited by kctyphoon; 02-13-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stankfanger View Post
I read this on another forum. How do you do this? What do you gain?

"I suck a qt out, run the engine for a short time, suck another qt, and repeat once more.. The oil pan holds 16 qts, but it's actually a 19 qt system..

You'll notice the truck running quite a bit smoother when ya do it...."
Well, to me that doesn't make any sense. If you suck out a quart, run the engine and repeat, you'll run out of oil after a bit, which means after a bit the engine wouldn't run anymore. Personally, I don't think it needs to be done on a regular basis. As far as I'm concerned, the only time to do it is if you want to see what the condition of the HPOP is as far as sludge build up. But that doesn't need to be done all the time.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCrutyPS View Post
Well, to me that doesn't make any sense. If you suck out a quart, run the engine and repeat, you'll run out of oil after a bit, which means after a bit the engine wouldn't run anymore. Personally, I don't think it needs to be done on a regular basis. As far as I'm concerned, the only time to do it is if you want to see what the condition of the HPOP is as far as sludge build up. But that doesn't need to be done all the time.
the method is to pump a quart out, replace it with fresh oil, run the truck for a few minutes and repeat. the truck would not even start with the reservior empty. you can definately see a difference. i use a hand pump to pump the oil out. first quart i can barely even pump the plunger cause the oil is so thick. i refill, run for 5 min, pump another quart. this time its easier, but i can still feel its thick. replace - run for 5 min. ill pump out only a pint - and this batch feels as thin as water. its all clean oil. i throw in my addative and rest easy..
Old 02-13-2012, 10:53 PM

The most popular method I've seen has been using a hand pump and mayonaise jar to create vacuum necessary to extract the oil. I really don't see this as a method capable of creating enough negative pressure to extract heavy particles that even the relatively low flow rate of the lpop could leave behind.
A quick glance at a schematic of the HEUI system reveals that once oil has travelled from the HPOP to the injector, it must circulate through the crankcase (and the stock oil filter) before returning to the HPOP. This makes the method of 'draining a quart, running for 5 minutes, and repeating twice more to clean oil oil rails' useless. The oil cannot travel backwards in a HEUI system.
For someone driving a SuperDuty, it is possible to accumilate sludge in the HPOP as there is a screen underneath res for sludge to settle on.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsboy View Post
The most popular method I've seen has been using a hand pump and mayonaise jar to create vacuum necessary to extract the oil. I really don't see this as a method capable of creating enough negative pressure to extract heavy particles that even the relatively low flow rate of the lpop could leave behind.
A quick glance at a schematic of the HEUI system reveals that once oil has travelled from the HPOP to the injector, it must circulate through the crankcase (and the stock oil filter) before returning to the HPOP. This makes the method of 'draining a quart, running for 5 minutes, and repeating twice more to clean oil oil rails' useless. The oil cannot travel backwards in a HEUI system.
For someone driving a SuperDuty, it is possible to accumilate sludge in the HPOP as there is a screen underneath res for sludge to settle on.
the idea OBVIOUSLY is to dilute and remove as much of the old oil as possible.. but thank you for explaining where my oil goes.. ive always wondered.
like i said in my first post, not changing it is the same as leaving a quart behind in the pan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.