PSD No start- PLEASE HELP - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2012, 06:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
PSD No start- PLEASE HELP

Pulled the truck in today to add some antifreeze to the mix, and now have a no-start. I started it, brought it into the garage, and cut it off. Probably ran for 45 seconds with no issues. I added the antifreeze, wouldn't start. Swapped CPS with a brand new one from ford, nothing. Hooked up the battery charger, it shows full charge. Fuel bowl was about an inch below the top, so I filled it to the brim. Oil in the HPOP was about half an inch from the top, so I added some. When cranking, I have a check engine light, as well as all the warning lights (water in fuel...etc). It shows a battery light, but that's pretty standard. I don't see much tach movement, but it's so cold that I wouldn't expect much. The #22 fuse is good and the glow plugs are working. I don't see any smoke when cranking.

Thanks,
Cole
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2012, 06:54 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I don't believe I get a bat light on mine. Have you actually verified that it has a full charge? What about your alternator and starter?
Old 02-11-2012, 07:19 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
is it cranking very slowly? what kind of cps? as in where'd you buy it at?
Old 02-11-2012, 07:25 PM

It's cranking good and quick. I've got a DB electrical starter on it, so it cranks nice. I was having an intermittent no-start on it right after I put the starter on, and I was suspecting low voltage when cranking. I put in new 1000 CA interstate batteries and haven't had a problem since. The alternator has been doing fine. The CPS I installed was a Ford, then onethat was in it was from advance, and had been working for about a year and a half. I wish I had a voltmeter to test when cranking, but I wonder if letting it run such a short time earlier didn't let the alternator bump the batteries back up.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:27 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

you said they showed full charge tho rite?
Old 02-11-2012, 07:43 PM

They did on the battery charger. I tried cranking with the charger connected, and with jumper cables hooked to another truck while running. same result. Pulled the ICP sensor and tried it, same thing. Engine is on the block heater now.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:53 PM

Hooked the batteries up to the charger independently. Passenger side showed full charge, driver side only shows 25%. Not sure if I have a bad cable or what. Either way, it's charging now. Hopefully when it's full here in an hour or so I can get it running.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:53 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

sorry im not so good at these, g/l and i hope a more experienced member can help ya
Old 02-11-2012, 09:22 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgg93 View Post
Hooked the batteries up to the charger independently. Passenger side showed full charge, driver side only shows 25%. Not sure if I have a bad cable or what. Either way, it's charging now. Hopefully when it's full here in an hour or so I can get it running.
I'd reckon its a bad starter connection somewhere, or your batteries aren't able to charge enough because of a bad connection. You can have 10k cca but if your connections aren't good they won;t do you any good. Clean and check battery and starter connections and replace anything suspicious.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:41 PM

Charged the low battery and it cranked right up. Begs the question; why do I have a battery not charging. I'll look into it tomorrow.

Thanks,
Cole
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.