18k clamp mod - looking for info - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2012, 09:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
18k clamp mod - looking for info

ive come across this title in a handful of old threads on multiple forums, and people rave about them. from what i can get, its basically a icp resistor mod, that also uses a diode somewhere. the benfits are suppose to be the performance without the bad looping idle. however - none of the old links work. i cant find any posts that has any real info or write up on these. i cant even find anyone that still sells ANY type of cheap resistor icp mod anymore. i guess they use to be all over the place, but with the trucks aging and more people burning their own programs it seems all the vendors are out of business or have moved on.

lemme say - im aware the better choice is a chip or tuner, but im not really willing to spend the money on something i dont need rite now.( so please refrain from posting 5 response about how i should get a chip) id rather put the $$ in into finishing my basment than a toy for the truck. a cheap mod i can justify to myself, as i just spent a nice chunk of money on all the maintenance and fixing ramndom stuff ive been putting off.

anyway - does anyone know of, have in their possesion, or can provide a video or real how to write up on the 18k clamp mod, or even a good 10k write up? you can even find plenty of posts on here talking about using a POT in place of the single resistor, and even hook up an on/off switch, but there is not video on youtube or in depth how to.. everything ive come across is like campfire stories with very vague info. i feel like im hunting for bigfoot, and it seems im not alone cause there are plenty of posts with people asking the same. on some of the other forum sites ive searched, usually a guy will ask, and then 5 people chime in basically trying to make the newbie feel stupid for asking, saying its worthless cause they no doubt have something better, and the question goes unanswered and unresloved. im hoping the outcome of this will be different. thanks in advance.

Last edited by kctyphoon; 02-11-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2012, 11:10 PM

OK - i may be the new guy around here, so im gonna make my contributation. after HOURS of searching , i FINALLY found my bigfoot.

the link im going to post is (1) - actually going to work (2) - lead you to a thread that is almost 8 years old, that will explain, in detail - the CLAMP mod. it is suppose to be a modified and improved variation of the 10k mod, both producing power gains comparable to a chip on a 50-60 hp setting, while keeping a smooth idle.

i did NOT create this - i merely found what im guessing might be a lost or forgotten method for making cheap power. im guessing most people and vendors have moved over to chips and tuners and this may have been left behind. ive honestly been looking for hours. so heres the link - maybe this can be of some help to other people here too.

TheDieselStop.Com Forums: 10K mod has mutated! Now an ICP clamping circuit

EDIT- just to make things a bit quicker, i belive the circuit is as follows

ICP OUT - 470 ohm resistor - 1amp diode - 1amp diode- 1amp doide - ICP ground OR chassis ground

i would think you could also do ICP OUT -resistor -diode-diode-diode- wire to dash mounted on/off - ground.. and that this would let you toggle this on and off
OR
ICP OUT -(wire extending into cab)-POT(adjustable resistor)-diode-diode-diode - dash mount on/off - ground

im not exactly certain what wattage resistor needs to be used. im guessing a 1 or 1/2 watt?? also, im assuming you dont have to shove a bare wire into the connector of the sensor directly, and that you can accomplish the same thing, a bit neater, using one of those plastic "t" splices on the icp out wire a few inches up the wire, and another on the ground as well if you choose to complete the circuit on the icp ground wire instead of using another grounding point. maybe someone else can confirm this.

Last edited by kctyphoon; 02-11-2012 at 11:38 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:12 AM
Full A-Team Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I can confirm why you are looking at OLD threads, this is not a good mod, If you have a manual trans it isnt so bad but your auto probably wont shift good and it will probably cook your ICP.
When people first started doing it, it was cool, the thing to do, easy shot in the pants feel, then they had the after effect of the mod
Old 02-12-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman247365 View Post
I can confirm why you are looking at OLD threads, this is not a good mod, If you have a manual trans it isnt so bad but your auto probably wont shift good and it will probably cook your ICP.
When people first started doing it, it was cool, the thing to do, easy shot in the pants feel, then they had the after effect of the mod
well ive been searching around forever for a how to post that actually gives a real in depth explanation, and STILL cant find one. honestly im starting to think this is a little absurd that someone has to put this much research into this. there are dozens of people CONSTANTLY asking about 10k mods / clamp mods and all of the variants, but out of ALL the diesel forums, and all the posts that people ask question, there is no good CLEAR how to.

im not saying your wrong, but ive come across dozens of posts with people saying they have been using them for years with no problems. ive also come across dozens of posts of people confused cause there is no decent how to ANYWHERE.

i even found a site sellling a pre-packaged kit for like $80 for this exact set up. i honestly cant understand how there is no sticky post on this mod, with all the variants, explaining everything and showing people how to make and install one. theres a tread on every friggin page of people asking and there is no explanation.. this is completely frustrating cause you dont even know what to listen to when you really start searching. everyone THINKS its something different, half the people that have a 10k are so misinformed they think that all these things act the same way. i cant even get a solid answer on how to wire a clamp mod in porperly without someone leaving out details.

you have half the group in here saying it makes no difference. other people saying "oh it depends on the individual truck" which is retarded, and a small group that actally get the things hooked up correct. someone saying " it works on some trucks but not on others" is like me telling someone else " this $500 tuner may or may not work on your truck, even though it was made for it and it works on mine.

sorry for ranting and raving - but its so frustrating im about to throw my laptop. the last thread i read somebody posted a wiring diagram that said one thing, but then told someone to do it completely different.. two people spent 3 days trying to hook one up and finally gave up cause they couldnt get ANYTHING to work. honestly this should be as complicated as frying an egg but too many people are oblivious and yet still insist on giving advice.

Last edited by kctyphoon; 02-12-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:52 AM

When I did the 10k mod I just put the resistor between I THINK the blue wire and green wire on the icp. I've never heard of the clamp mod but there's plenty of info on the 10k mod. The 10k mod CAN cause problems. It CAN fry your ICP. Mine was fine but nonetheless, it can happen. When I did the mod I could feel a slight difference but it was fairly insignificant. Have you looked at the price of a PHP chip? It's not that much more than a new ICP.

Sent from my Ally using AutoGuide.com App
Old 02-13-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atvrider93 View Post
When I did the 10k mod I just put the resistor between I THINK the blue wire and green wire on the icp. I've never heard of the clamp mod but there's plenty of info on the 10k mod. The 10k mod CAN cause problems. It CAN fry your ICP. Mine was fine but nonetheless, it can happen. When I did the mod I could feel a slight difference but it was fairly insignificant. Have you looked at the price of a PHP chip? It's not that much more than a new ICP.

Sent from my Ally using AutoGuide.com App

honestly i dont think so, since i dont even know what it is. im open to any info you can provide.

but anyway, the difference of the simple form of the 10k and a true "clamp" is that the clamp mod was designed by someone to eliminate the looping idle issues that everyone deals with when you just stick a resistor in the sensor. the diodes are there to block the signal at idle. this way the resistor does not come into play until you step on the pedal. so when your stopped at a light, people arent looking at your 15 -18 year old truck saying "boy that sounds like sh-t".

also, hooking it up to a switch will drastically reduce the chances of bad things happening. this way its only on when you want it on, and not taking a toll on things when your driving normal.

i dont want to contiue complaining, but its so frustrating. even a trip to the store to buy diodes turned into a project. it says to buy 1 amp diodes. ok - well when you open the drawer in radio shack, theres rectifying diodes, switching diodes... you ask someone in there about a diode and i might as well be asking for the answer to "who wants to be a millionaire" i went though the stickys for some mods - even the idm mod with the great write up and pictures - never tells you what you are changing the volatge too when your done. is it 140v? i have no idea. there can be 4 different verisons for all i know.. i just dont undertand how a site and forum as well established as this has so many confused people over simple things, and the people that know all the answers havent stepped in. doesnt eveyone get tired of seeing the same question posted by EVERY new member that joins? i honestly wish i knew all the details so i could make the wirte up. i can find better info on doing a complete cummins swap.

Last edited by kctyphoon; 02-13-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:15 PM

99-03 7.3L 10K resistor mod - VIDEO!

10k resistor mod.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atvrider93 View Post
thank you for the links. i will bookmark them in case i need them. but another question is - now i have 2 write ups/ videos of people installing a resistor, but both were done differently. the video link basicacly has the resistor jumped between two wires. the write up with pictures i was sent from another member showed him cutting one wire, and splicing it in-line with the sensor.
what im looking for especially is what the difference is, and why is it being done differnt ways. they cant be having the same effect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.