Rig Advice - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 01:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rig Advice

Hello All,

I recently joined the forum and I think I've found a good rig in Oklahoma. This will be my first Ford and I would really appreciate any advice that you folks could dish out.

Rig: 1997 F250 Automatic 7.3 4x4 with 281,109 miles on it. They have it priced at $5,995. It's a 1 owner truck and the dealer does not have any maintenance records that they can provide. I've asked if they can get me in touch with the PO but they didn't seem like they wanted to do that. Based on price alone, is this something that any of you would drive 3 hours to look at?

Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Rig Advice-f250.aspx.jpg   Rig Advice-f250-2.aspx.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2012, 01:49 PM
Serving Our Country!

Things to think about, If the transmission goes out it's $4000+ to have it rebuilt.
Did the PO keep the Radiator flushed and good Anti- Freeze in it all the time
for the past 15 years and 281000 miles.
Doug
Old 02-07-2012, 01:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WD40 View Post
Things to think about, If the transmission goes out it's $4000+ to have it rebuilt.
Did the PO keep the Radiator flushed and good Anti- Freeze in it all the time
for the past 15 years and 281000 miles.
Doug
You're right Doug, those are things that I would really like to consider but can't due to the lack of maintenance records. I could run into a transmission problem with anything I buy though. What do you suggest?

James
Old 02-07-2012, 02:10 PM
the baconator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
sure go take a look. if they are asking x they will probably take less

when you look at it does it look like it has been taken care of? if it does than it probably has, if it looks like someone spray painted the chassis black they could be hiding some issues and the truck might have more problems.

a transmission rebuild is not that expensive. and unlike the 6.0 coolant is not as important. do the the normal things. check the fluids, smell the tranny fluid does it smell burnt. check for leak, the ball joints, the u joints, etc. start it cold does it smoke alot, make any strange noise. take it for a test drive, does it shift through the gears, does it run well, do all the electrics work. locks work? windows work? cruise? ac? shift into 4x4 does it go easily?
Old 02-07-2012, 02:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryknight View Post
sure go take a look. if they are asking x they will probably take less

when you look at it does it look like it has been taken care of? if it does than it probably has, if it looks like someone spray painted the chassis black they could be hiding some issues and the truck might have more problems.

a transmission rebuild is not that expensive. and unlike the 6.0 coolant is not as important. do the the normal things. check the fluids, smell the tranny fluid does it smell burnt. check for leak, the ball joints, the u joints, etc. start it cold does it smoke alot, make any strange noise. take it for a test drive, does it shift through the gears, does it run well, do all the electrics work. locks work? windows work? cruise? ac? shift into 4x4 does it go easily?

Great advice. I have turned a few wrenches on my gasoline engines over the years but this will be my first diesel so I feel less confident about things to look for. I will definitely check the items that you mentioned.

Thank you!
Old 02-07-2012, 03:20 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
flip the oil fill cap see if it blows off or vibrates off, check just about anything else you would like a gas, inspect the turbo see if it has an bent blades or any play at all, test drive it see if it goes well, price is pretty nice for the miles, mine has 290k and blue books at 10k
Old 02-07-2012, 03:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

First thing first, have them send you a copy of the carfax (any reputable dealer will have it for free). This will tell you if it really has been a single owner rig.
I always get nervous when I see an OBS at the dealer, or any vehicle for that matter. These guys will do anything to get you down to the lot. Prior to buying my current truck, I found a '97 with 220xxx, less than 5k on a built BTS transmission and 20k on a reman engine. I asked them for the paperwork, and they faxed me some reciepts. Drove 4 hours to take a look. Long and the short of it is that the Vin of the truck didn't match up with the Vin on the reciepts they sent me. They tried feeding me some BS about how the cab of the truck had been swapped due to hail damage. Crawling under the truck, I could tell neither the engine or trans were near new.
Needless to say I drove home empty handed, and my complaint with the BBB is still trickling down the pipe.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:44 PM

x2 on the carfax, that is best bet as well, and sorry bout your luck backwoods boy

to the op
Old 02-07-2012, 03:50 PM
the baconator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
carfax will only tell you how many registered owners a vehicle has had.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:39 PM

it can report the history if it was taken to shops that report that kind of stuff tho
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.