new to OBS tech - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2012, 01:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
new to OBS tech

looking for some advice. I recently purchased a 96 f-350 with a 7.3 and a 5 spd with 200,000 plus miles on it. The truck is in Florida and I have to go pick it up and drive it back to New York in two weeks. Problem is my knowledge of these motors is pretty sparse so i'm looking for a heads up on what to look out for. I registered the truck 3 months ago when I bought it and my father has been sparadically driving, seems to run well, just looking for info before my 1500 mile journey. thanks for the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2012, 01:48 AM

Pretty much standard stuff. Look at the condition of the turbo wheel, check the coolant for good sca use. I'd also check the oil and see if its milky. Set the cap upside down over the oil fill hole, if it blows off you have major blowby. Check the fuel filter, perhaps replace that just so you avoid that trouble.

Make sure you get a Ford or International brand CPS and throw that in your glovebox, they are known to go out.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:30 AM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I will add the obvious, check all the fluids and whatnot. Tires and u joints. Also just an add to for the glove box. Throw in a spare maxi fuse that matches the 22 fuse under the hood.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:37 AM

Thanks guys, have heard of the cps issue, already got one, all fluids have been changed. I will spend a few days going through the brake and steering systems before my journey. I bought a 97 350 new back in the day and I loved it so I am looking forward to this. I've had 6.0 on the brain for the 6 years and cant wait for SIMPLE, RELIABLE diesel tech.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:11 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
lol, yeah just check those things, i bought my last 97 psd in ga and drove it from atlanta to so cal within a week of purchase, and my current 97 i bought in so cal and drove from san diego to atlanta and back, these trucks are awesome if you make sure the fluids are good, check turbo and blow by, good luck with the drive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.