Turbo alright? Pics - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2012, 07:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turbo alright? Pics

Hey guys, havn't been on here much lately, honestly been over on snowmobile forums trying to get an old sled i have going.

I got my truck into the shop today to change a front tie rod end, and while at was at it I decided to pull my intake off, I figured i would see if it was "dusted", have not ever looked.

Remeber, Ive had this truck for 7 months, and it has been running great and I have had zero problems with the truck, always starts great and runs great ( -7 degree F start no block heater...engine only turns over a few times before she fires)

I went into the project thinking that "dusting" looked like dust on the compressor wheel...and I also wanted to see how much play I had, i know have those answered and I wish it looked better, but like i said it seems to run fine.

________________________ CONCLUSION _______

There is no apperent In and out play, i only was using my hands, but i could not get it to budge in and out.

When wiggling the turbo back and fourth I am able to get a small amount of play, there is play, but its not a lot...and I dont know how to explain it, but its not a loose play, it take force to move it from side to side, but it does move...its not a floppy loose though...NOTE...first turbo ive really even felt.

the compressor wheel did not apear to be dusty at all....No specs or anything on it...BUTT!!!!!!!! the outside layer of edges are kinda dinged it....i dont like it, but its how it is.

Ill upload a picture, what do you guys conclude from my inspection today? I find it hard to believe its horribly messed up because I get no smoke on acceleration ( only when i start it cold) and the turbo sounds loud and health and i can feel it boost up on acceleration fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2012, 07:59 PM

Those blades have been meeting up with something! Lol

You dont want to see that. I would consider a wheel sometime down the road. If your not getting any surge then i would think it will be ok.

The play, good there isnt any in and out. The side to side play, there should be some even without forcing any but the compressor wheel shouldnt be able to touch the housing.
i cant see very well but it doesnt look like it is. When you wiggle it, kinda turn it a little too and see if it will rub the housing. If not its ok.
unless it is leaking oil i would say it is ok. Like i said, might want to look into replacing that wheel but probably not a big deal.

Dusting from what i understand is when you see dust tracks in the intake tubing between the filter and engine/turbo.

Make sure to start doing regular filter maintenance from here out!
Old 02-04-2012, 08:10 PM

Yeah, well Ive read that the stock intakes on these things are far from....well good..

and the previous owner got the truck stock @ 180,000 miles, so this truck ran with a stock intake for a lot of miles, probably the same turbo that it rolled out of the factory with.

it did take "force" i guess to move it back and forth, but it was not floppy, thats what im trying to emphasize, it was a good feel when it comes to feel ( felt kinda like it should be there)

Im not sure how i would know it was "burning" oil...but there was oil deposits in the turbo a little, just a little collection of oil.

is this bad? how much does it cost to rebuild a turbo? any special tools? maybe its just time I rebuild this thing if its not a big deal...dont see any reason why not to.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:23 PM

Well if it was leaking oil it would smoke. Anything less isnt anything to worry about.
it sounds like it "feels" ok! Haha they have to have play in them.
Now a ball bearing turbo doesnt have any but you dont have one of those if this is stock.

The little bit of oil, is the valve cover still venting into the intake tube?
If it is this is the likely source of the oil. Its normal and why most do the ccv mod.

As far as rebuilding, it is pretty simple as long as you lay everything out in order that its removed and you dont force anything together or apart. Just takes some time so you can be careful not to ding/damage anything. You have heavy parts around tender parts.
a rebuild kit on dieselorings.com is around 80-100 bucks. A new wheel about the same. Should you do it? I dont see a big hurry to unless you are preparing for some future mods.

That wheel isnt in the best of shape but if you arent getting surge or high egt's/lack of boost i wouldnt worry about it yet.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:41 PM

It doesn't smoke or anything under boost, one thing I did notice is that when I accelerate I can smell oil in the cab, this has been sense I bought that truck, and I think its due to oil on the top of my engine, there was a HPOP oil leak / there might still be a small one, and i think it burns off when the turbo gets hot.

But anyway, there is no smoke out of the exhaust, ever...no rpm/load...only when i start the truck dead cold, then it puffs a little white smoke.

The tube is still venting into the air intake, that had some oil on it when I removed it, so it could very well be the culprit.

Im not planning on doing any big mods or anything, maybe a chip, and now that I have this, i probably rebuild my turbo before i would bother get a chip.

also, ive read posts on here about people saying "no power, feels like the turbo isnt doing anything ect"

that's not what my truck is like, it goes decent, but when you get up around 1500 rpm or so you start to hear the turbo and can you definitely feel it in the seat of your pants, obviously its not a race car, but the turbo is very effective.

the roads around here in the winter are always pretty sketchy, and I on more then one occasion will be accelerating and boost will break the rear end loose, on snow loose gravel ect.

So my conclusion is ... my wheel is beat up a little, probably eat'n a few to many dust particles, but it will live, and if it doesnt have too much side/side play ill be fine, and if i notice smoke under boost, thats a seal going bad in the turbo.

in and out play is bad? I didn't notice any, so thats a good thing, if there is in/out play what needs to be replace( just curious lol)
Old 02-04-2012, 08:57 PM

Oil smoke doesnt really mean it is your turbo but it could be.
No smoke means it is NOT leaking internally.

In an out play will be there but you shouldnt be able to feel it. It is only .001- .003.
there are 3 bearings/bushings in your turbo. 2 journal bearings control shaft movement like on an axle shaft. The third is a thrust bearing that controls end play (in and out). Turbos dont need much clearance on the thrust bearing but do need a little in the journal bearings. Most of the pressurized oil is flowing through the journal bearings that support the shaft.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:47 AM
Full A-Team Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Looks like a classic dusted turbo to me....
Old 02-05-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman247365 View Post
Looks like a classic dusted turbo to me....
X2
Definitely track down how dust particles are getting into your intake. The same air that's doing that kind of damage to your turbo is being forced into your engine....not good for valve/piston/cylinder health.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:49 PM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Defiantly dusted and then some. There has been some large pieces of sand or something of the sort going in there. That's all it takes to throw the turbo out of balance and muck up the bearings. I had a fair amount of oil consumption before replacing my turbo and it never did smoke. It takes a lot of oil going through these engines to see notably blue smoke.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:56 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
mine had factory intake and k&n drop in filter when i bought it, at 179k miles and still looks new to me, just oil on it from the ccv, looks like you need to look at a better filter set up and possibly a new wheel, but fortunately its not way off and hitting the housing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.