Looking for a Powerstroke - need advice - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2006, 05:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looking for a Powerstroke - need advice

What years Ford with Powerstrokes are better than others? I know of a sweet deal on a 96 but I heard there are problem years. What years are probematic and what years are more reliable than others????

Is there a displacement motor i should avoid?

Thanks - I need to pull th trigger on this deal soon - any advice offered is immensley appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2006, 05:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mileage question

what would be a good mileage truck to find? I mean, If I buy a 130k truck am I i for a lot of maintenance? What mileage would you guys reccomend i pick up a f350 or f250 quad cab to be used for work (I am a contractor with 2 kids - need th back seat)....

Thanks again!!!!
Old 06-29-2006, 05:56 PM
Emergency Services

the more miles the cheaper they get. once they get over 200k or 300k they go rea cheap. if your a mechanic then its a good bargain because any work that has to be done your just paying for parts but if you have to pay someone to do it your better off going to like 100k
Old 06-29-2006, 06:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

years to avoid

What years should I avoid? options that suck or are good? thanks!
Old 06-29-2006, 07:05 PM
Infidel

Hey Feck,
94 - 97 all have things that go wrong. The valve cover harness tends to short out more in the 94 - 96, I believe the problem is not as prevalent in 97's. One of the big weak links is the CPS dying on you. you can be cruising down the road and the engine shuts off and that's it. Alot of people carry a spare and a 10mm socket and ratchet to change it out. I do.
The fuel pumps go out, but if you are mechanically inclined you can replace it yourself with out removing the turbo. On my 95 I had a radiator hose rub the frame on the passenger side and and leak, so I had to replace it and re-enforce the area.
Other than the normal things you expect to replace my 95 has been a solid truck. I have 312K miles on it and drive it daily plus on our vacations. I keep the maintenance up on it as best I can, especially the oil and have had no major problems yet.
I am sure others will chime in if I missed something. Also, take the truck to a diesel shop before you buy it and have them look it over. Probably cost ya' 75 - 100 bucks.
See ya',
Craig
Old 06-29-2006, 07:10 PM
Banned

GREAT post man....
Old 06-29-2006, 08:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
If you like the newer body styles, you can find a higher mileage 99 for $11-14k. I sold my 99 with 147k miles for 15,200....That's low miles for a diesel IMO. Check out Autotrader.com, that's the best place to find vehicles online I think. You can narrow it down to fuel type, number of doors, 3/4 or 1 ton....all kinds of stuff.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:00 AM
Premium Member

any year truck can be a p.o.s if it hasnt been taken care of, no matter what problems are inherant of the year.
while some years models may be better to own, if the truck has a few miles on it, it all comes down to how it was taken care of.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
Yeah that is true. My buddy has an 03 ram that he runs the heck out of. He hardly ever washes it, lets rain get all over the window controls, already tore up one tranny....things like that. It's still a pretty good truck but by the time he gets rid of it the only good thing left in it will be the engine.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks!

Thanks for all the posts....I found a 1995 Ford e350 Ambulance - well maintained - documented maintenance with 74,000 on the clock - I guess the motor has a lot of Hours versus MILES since they tend to sit and idle running - should I take this into consideration????

I will be using it for a work truck - I am a contractor and currently own a 1976Ford E35 Ambulance Type 1 with a 460 GAS motor - runs wel but can't pass a gas station!!!! Plus, after 30 years the cance on the cab and underside of th box is getting too much to deal with....

Any thoughts???

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.