Egt's and boost issue... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2012, 10:13 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Egt's and boost issue...

Here's another one. My EGT's have been slowly getting higher. I use to see 300 at idle, easily. Now I'm up to almost 400 and it's colder outside now. I'm seeing upwards of 900 when accelerating to only 45-50 mph at no more than 2000 RPM. Also, I've noticed soot on the firewall, behind the turbo and I don't see more than 10-12 pounds of boost when getting into it moderately hard. I see 3 pounds when cruising at 60 MPH. As far as the boost, that's how it's been since I got it, but now I'm thinking it's low for the mods the truck has. Although, the turbo sounds what I think to be normal. Does all this sound to be related or separate issues?

My temp gauge is working and cycles as it should and the heat is working well. I know the truck has the upgraded 203 thermostat. So, I don't think the EGT's are related to a coolant system issue. Whatcha think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2012, 10:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Soot on the firewall is a pretty clear sign of the up-pipe to the turbo leaking. Add in the low boost numbers, and high EGT's and I'd put money on that being your problem.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:15 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
^^^he said it. Up pipe leakin you lose some exhaust pressure to the turbo and you won't spin it all the way to build full boost.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:30 AM

So, is there an o-ring or seal that I need? Or is it just a matter of tighteningthe clamp? I have the D66 turbo w/ downpipe. How difficult to replace that seal?
Old 02-03-2012, 06:29 AM

Well, I went out to tighten down that clamp (which tightened up easily) and this is what I found...FML! Options? Don't wanna spend a fortune, but don't really want to downgrade either.
Attached Thumbnails
Egt's and boost issue...-dscn4959.jpg  
Old 02-03-2012, 08:41 AM

It's a little hard to tell from the pic, but from what I can see it looks like you've got a hole rusted through on the exhaust side of the turbo? Never seen that one before...
Generally its "just" a matter of replacing the gasket. This is still a huge PITA. In order to get enough room to work, you either have to remove the turbo or drop the transmission.
You can also replace the entire up-pipe with a bellowed one that eliminates the gasket, but that will cost you some serious coin.
Pipes:
OBS-E99 Bellowed Up-Pipes
Gasket:
Swamp's Webstore - 7.3L Up-pipe donut gaskets (1994-2003, 7.3L)

How old is that turbo? I see you're running a D66, so I assume it's relatively new.

Last edited by backwoodsboy; 02-03-2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:52 PM

As far as the turbo goes, is that something that can be replaced? Like a housing, or do I need a complete replacement?

And is there any reason not to drive it like this as long as I keep an eye on the EGT's?

Last edited by rplowden; 02-03-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:31 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
you should be able to get a new exhaust housing for it, where did you get the d66 from anyway?, youve been doing it this long, but i would fix it asap if i were you
Old 02-03-2012, 06:34 PM

Bought it like this. Everything was already installed, don't know how long ago though. The housing is pretty rusted, I'm afraid the bolts are just gonna snap off when I try to take the thing apart. I guess we'll find out.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:58 PM

Yeah finding a new exhaust housing shouldn't be too hard. They aren't typically a high fatigue item, so check out the local junk yard.
PB-Blaster is your friend. Heating/cooling cycles have a tendency to make any exhaust or turbo bolt fairly hard to get out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.