OBS straight ayle swap - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 06:08 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
OBS straight ayle swap

need info on doin this. like what years will work with my 97 F250. a rough idea what it might cost, etc etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2012, 06:33 PM
the baconator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
any D60 from 1986-1997 will work the earlier ones had kingpins the later ball joints. you will need the axle, the proper brakes (they changed somewhere in 95 from slide pins to bolt on calipers) the track bar AND bracket, and the steering parts draglink and tie rod. While these parts are nice to have they are not required the 350 springs and drive shaft. Cost all depends on what you can find an axle for and what you spend on parts getting it in your truck. I did a ball joint one in my 94 and added a locker, hawk brake pads, power slot rotors new bearing etc and have over two grand in it. I am doing one right now on my 97 with a KP axle and will have less than 1000 in it and that includes a locker. If I can sell the rear I bought with the D60 it will be even less.

i would look for a 96-97 ball joint axle and that way you can keep your brakes.

here is a link

How-To: Dana 60 Swap

i will find the other one i like alot tomorrow
Old 02-01-2012, 08:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I used a 94 front axle. You gotta change the yoke but the driveshaft is the right length. 95 is the crossover year from the slide caliperz to the bolt on ones. I had to convert back to slide mount calipers but reused thestock linez.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:54 AM
Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to baderic03
Or swap to sd axles and get 4wheel disc brakes but diff wheels are needed
Old 02-02-2012, 08:39 AM
the baconator

this is the other link I like

Dana 60 Conversion for F250 years 1986-1996 .: Articles

and i lied now with all new steering components i am at 1100 in my current swap. but i hope to sell some of the rear axle parts (got a matched pair and don't need the rear) and the ttb parts to recoup some money
Old 02-03-2012, 08:54 AM

got a locker for the rear mine is open diff and sucks wen i get in wet grass and do u have gears i would like to put 410 in cause mine is kp axle swaped and i want the rear to match the front
Old 02-03-2012, 11:45 AM

My swap ran me 1100 complete with axle new brakes and lines, new shocks and super duty springs.

I used a dually axle and converted it to fleetsid. Saved money that way.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:59 AM

I was lucky and found a 89' complete truck with (90,000) in a near by bone yard. they tourched the front whole frame, i got everything for 600. But forgot to put in all new bushings, so after a few good death wobble scares i had polyurithane bushings put it witch brought the whole project cost to about 1000. but it was all worth it in the long run bc it would have run me over 2000. to rebuild my worn ttb.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:20 AM
Interior Guru

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Terry pretty much covered this all for you.

It all depends on what you find, where you find it, and its condition.

Many men have searched years and not found an axle, and some people find them daily for dirt cheap.

I had an axle, picked it up for 500 bucks, and then I had about 500-600 in rebuilding it. Either way, the magic number seems to be right around 1100 dollars for a Dana 60 front axle. Id NEVER pay 1000 bucks for one that was just pulled from a truck, and not gone through. At one time, I did find a Dana 60 in a junkyard for 200 bucks. I picked it up, we put a new drag link on it, and swapped it into my buddies F250. He had to re-gear it, but othe than that, I think the total for that thing was under 500 bucks in parts, including the axle.

Any axle from 86-97 will work, but the 95-97 brakes are different from the 94 and older brakes. So youll have to do some brake line modifications to use the older calipers. The 91 and older axles are also King Pin, instead of Ball Joint. Kingpins are generally stronger, and will last longer, but are also considered "old" technology, and are harder to align than a balljoint axle. But once done, it will never "fall" from alignment until the king pins start wearing.

If you want to go a little more indepth, you can swap to the 99-04 axles, and youll have to do a little more modifications, IE: Brake lines, track bar, get the rear axle, and buy new wheels

OR you can go REALLY indepth, and do the 05+ axle swap, and youll have to get a lot more parts, remove a lot more parts, do some welding, a ton of drilling, including what youd need to do for the 99-04 axles. but is completely worth it.

Its all a matter of budget, and what you really are capable of/what you want.

Last edited by weareweird69; 02-04-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:45 PM
the baconator

garrett did a good job of explaining the newer swaps.

these are my experiences: I bought my KP for 500 and it came with a matching rear and everything i needed, but needed to be rebuilt. I had to drive 4 hours to get it round trip. my bj i paid 1200 for it came with the rear suspension and everything i needed, but it had been totally gone through before i bought it. It needed nothing, I torn it down anyway and added a locker, but that was it. I had to drive 12 round trip for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.