7.3 vs psd 7.3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 07:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 vs psd 7.3

How does the psd compare to the non turbo 7.3? I'm startin to get to th point where I wish I had an extended cab or four door. I've found a couple of nice older 7.3's but was curious how they perform compared toy 95.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2012, 07:58 AM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
only thing i can think of that makes them similar would be they came in fords, and they run on diesel,
that being said, the idi will be a complete dog compared to your "direct injected" powerstroke, making power on them is possible, but it wont be near as huge gains as your psd gains are, if you go the idi route good luck, if you can afford to keep both, find a gasser kause they are cheap and just swap out all the good stuff from the psd
Old 02-01-2012, 08:15 AM

A Powerstroke will put down better HP/TQ numbers than a IDI. It will also have way more in the way of aftermarket performance accessories. It's possible to get some respectable numbers out of an IDI, but in the long run it will cost you alot...whereas it will be relatively easy to get these numbers out of a PS.
On the flip side, and IDI will be much cheaper to maintain as it is a much less complex engine.
If you going for an IDI, take a look at the 6.9
Their numbers will only be slightly less than a 7.3 IDI but IMO you can't beat that engine in terms of reliability and mpg. My old 6.9 would pull 25mpg on the highway all day long.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:23 AM

pretty much going to what body style you want if your going idi lol, but if you can swing the down time and know your way around a a good tool box, just find the cab configuration you want and swap the stroke in it
Old 02-01-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351fifty View Post
pretty much going to what body style you want if your going idi lol, but if you can swing the down time and know your way around a a good tool box, just find the cab configuration you want and swap the stroke in it
I've always thought a 77 Highboy would make a good home for one of them new-fangled Scorpions
Old 02-01-2012, 08:37 AM

my eventual plan once i get this beast to 600 hp is swap my 7.3 into a reb cab short bed 1967 f100, and a 6.7 into my 97 ccsb
Old 02-01-2012, 08:50 AM

How bad is the fuel mileage on a gasser?
Old 02-01-2012, 08:55 AM

I have Always wanted to put in a psd in a 79 custom cab. Unfortunately working 80 hours a week doesn't allow me much spare time to work on projects. My goal is to be able to drag my cab over with my dogs and wife in the cab. Family's gettin a little too big for a standard cab.

I could always just toss them in the camper but I am just exploring options at this point.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:56 AM

horrible lmao, put it this way, my 1995 f150 with a 5.8L super cab short bed 2wd 3.55 gears got around 11 mpg's on a good day, my last 97 f250 7.3L psd super cab short bed 3.55's ive gotten up to 26 mpg's and averaged about 21-24 daily driving, the f150 on average would do 8 consistantly
Old 02-01-2012, 09:26 AM

I doubt you'll see much more than 12mpg hwy with a 351. Even less than that with a 460.
These numbers drop considerably again when towing/hauling anything. With a diesel you can count on losing 3-4mpg at moderate weights. A gasser you can almost bet on cutting mileage in half.
Recently took a atv trip with a group of friends. Had a flatbed with 4 ATV's behind my truck, and my friend was towing 3 behind his f150 with a 351w. I pulled 15mpg through the mountains. He was getting a little shy of 7mpg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.