newbie with a couple of question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2012, 04:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
newbie with a couple of question

Hey everyone I'm looking to get rid of my 1999 f-150 lariat 4x4
the truck run's good but the flareside is useless and the local dmv (called the SAAQ up here) is charging double because it's got a ''big engine''

the law is the following : any vehicule 1995 and up over 4.0L is charge 30$ more + 10$ every 0.1 L
so to lower the cost of owner ship i'm looking to buy a 1994 f-250 or 350 4x4 with a power stroke, automatic and a 8 foot bed ! the cab can range from single to 4 doors dosen't matter !

I'm an experience auto mechanic (working at a Subaru dealer ), I have good knowledge of a gas engine and how to repair them, but I never learn or needed to repair a diesel !

first question : is the 1994 7.3 power stroke any good and reliable ?(I know, stupid question on a powerstroke forum !)

second question: what are the trouble spot that I should be looking on a diesel ?

third question: is the 1994 tuner friendly since it isn't obd-2 ? who makes power parts ?

fourth question: what are the diagnostic procedure ? is it like my old ranger that you jump a wire on the diag. connector and plug a needle voltmeter to extract codes ?

fifth question: is there any question that I should be asking ??

I would also like to find good internet literature about diesel engine and powerstroke info !

sorry for my bad english I usally talk french

here some picture off my current rig

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2012, 05:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

so $360 plus to register a PSD if it's 1995 or newer?

great motor and super reliable. They're pretty easy to work on and you don't need to do much if you keep up with maintenance. I don't know how the OBD works on the 1994 trucks.

Looking for rust, miles, how do fluids look and any records for maintenance, fuel filter and pressure. Check the oil pan for rust and pinholes. Must pull the motor to change them out. See if theres been a chip used. A generic one like edge can be hard on auto trannies and so can any without an added cooler
Old 01-29-2012, 05:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elrojo63 View Post
so $360 plus to register a PSD if it's 1995 or newer?

great motor and super reliable. They're pretty easy to work on and you don't need to do much if you keep up with maintenance. I don't know how the OBD works on the 1994 trucks.

Looking for rust, miles, how do fluids look and any records for maintenance, fuel filter and pressure. Check the oil pan for rust and pinholes. Must pull the motor to change them out. See if theres been a chip used. A generic one like edge can be hard on auto trannies and so can any without an added cooler
actually it goes 260$ + 30$ +10$ per 0.1L starting from 4.0L to a max of 160$ of over fees

thanks for the info !
Old 01-29-2012, 07:20 AM

good god thats ridiculous! I thought my $160 or so was expensive
Old 01-29-2012, 08:07 AM

The 94 Powerstrokes were basically the same as the rest of the OBS PSDs aside from some differences (different serpentine belt, fuel bowl differences, radiator hose config, etc). Mine had 250k on when I sold it abd it's still running around town. Just make sure that any 94 you get is actually a Powerstroke since they did have the non-turbo IDI and the turbo IDI that sane year. For a PSD 94, the 8th digit of the VIN will be an "F" (Turbo IDI will be a "K"). The 94 PSD was only available with a 5-speed manual tranny as well. The 94 turbo diesels were all badged the same regardless of whether it was a PSD (no Powerstroke badges) or a Turbo IDI. As with any OBS PSD with a 5-speed, the Dual Mass FlyWheel (DMFW) could be problematic and many folks choose (like me) to replace it with a Single Mass FlyWheel (SMFW)/Clutch kit. The PCMs can be reflashed to a later 1996 program and be just as tuner friendly as the rest of them. Cheers!
Old 01-29-2012, 10:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Since your up in QC, watch for rust on these trucks.... Frame shackles are famous for rusting out, fenders, and watch the rad support out by the frame rails!!

Good luck with your search!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.