Diagnostic Scanner; Snap On MT-2500, Question... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2012, 06:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Diagnostic Scanner; Snap On MT-2500, Question...

I'm looking at a used Snap On MT-2500 scanner for pulling codes and running diagnostics. I was hoping one of you all could specifically tell me if this scanner with the following cartridges will do the job:

1. Primary Cartridge GM-Chrysler-Ford-Jeep Domestic Combination thru 1999
2. Troubleshooter GM-Chrysler-Ford-Jeep thru 2000

I can't just plug it in and try it, my buddy that's selling it is out of state and he doesn't recall ever using it on one of our pickups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2012, 07:14 PM

I'm honestly not thinking so. I've got an auto enginuity scanner coming in sometime around monday. I finally just knuckled down and shelled out the money for one with the advanced ford scanning. Once I figure out how to use it and try it on my pickup, your welcome to use it if you can kick some money my way.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:41 PM

Thanks. I know the Snap On MT-2500 will pull codes on my '96 because I've seen it done, but we didn't run diagnostics and I don't know what cartridges he had.

I just noticed some of the MT-2500 troubleshooter cartridges have "Includes Diesel Insight" on them. Maybe that's the difference.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it a Windows based laptop in necessary to fully utilize the the Auto Ingenuity scanner? I don't have such a beast...
Old 01-22-2012, 08:21 PM

I've got a burner laptop simply for this function. I can send that as well.

I read the info about your scanner and it refers to "general" obd. Perhaps it does work I don't know, I just know that these codes require a scanner that can read the enhanced obd as these heavy vehicles can't use cheapo scanners.

If anything buy it and sell it for what you paid for it....
Old 01-23-2012, 11:13 AM

Thanks very much for the offer. The reason I'm looking at this scanner is it seems every time we go to Vegas to visit the kids, I get codes or some other problem crops up (I think the truck doesn't like driving through Idaho) so I'm getting it mostly for traveling.

I specifically remember a member of this forum posting that he had this scanner and it did what he needed, but I don't remember who it was that posted that, and I don't remember if he said he did diagnostics with it or not.

If I can get a fair enough deal on it, I very well may do as you suggest and just resell it if it doesn't work out.

Thanks again.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:22 AM

No problem. In terms of the Idaho thing, it seems likely that a Baro sensor could be the issue there... In terms of the pressure differences.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:55 AM

That's a good thought. It's certainly worth checking into, although I go from 3500' to 7500' before I ever leave Montana. Still...
Old 01-24-2012, 01:55 AM

Hey bud,

I just did some searching and it appears you need "key k2" which I am not sure if it means cartridge or what. I'll keep looking...
Old 01-24-2012, 02:08 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
k2 is the key you need to insert by the plug that goes in the obd2 port. I have the mt2500 and it does the diagnosis and reads whats going on. I like it. I never paid attention to what cartridges are in it. I think mines good thru 2005 vehicles. I bet it works if you have the ford key(K2)
Old 01-24-2012, 08:23 AM

Good find on the research! I mostly just ended up confused after looking...

Thanks for the info on the Key. That'll be important. If I get one, it'll have to be one other than my buddy's. There are some on ebay though. It looks like a complete MT2500 scanner goes for no less that $250-ish. Maybe I should just get the AutoEnginuity. It doesn't meet the need though unless I travel with a compatible netbook or laptop though... Hmmm...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
scanner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.