97 F350 4x4 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2012, 07:39 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
97 F350 4x4

hey fellas,

i recently sold my 03 superduty..

i really liked it, but didn't drive it that much and really dislike monthly payments.. so i sold it and found this gmc to get me by till i could find another powerstroke..

pretty good truck, i like the vortec 5.7... i figured i would have it for a good while as i didn't expect to find a 7.3 any time soon.

then a local riding buddy (dirt/dual sport bike) posted his truck for sale/trade as he wad gotten a divorce and couldn't fit his kids in it... and groceries..

he just wanted a 4x4 pickup with more room, so i sent him a pm and the deal was on... even steven.. after we check em out of course..

he had just installed a new set of wheels n nitto terra grapler tires 3,000 miles ago. recent water pump/t stat. batteries/starter/glow plugs/gpr/batt cables... all less than a year old..

engine bay is all stock, and clean with no oil leaks, valley is dry.. underneath is equally clean... nothing is wet with oil. has already been straight piped. it has a 5 speed HD manual trans and clutch feels like new.

i like this body style the best, but is there much difference between the 97 and 03 7.3 engine. i can see visually things are a lil different. this one is pretty much stock and has 192,000 miles..

anything i should look for..

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2012, 07:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Check the rear spring shackles for rust, also check the rad cradle where it meets the frame. these are common rust spots. I don't know a lot about the motors and stuff but living in canada I can tell where the rust will pop up!!!
Old 01-22-2012, 11:22 AM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
the late 99-03 has 140cc split shots an intercooler, 17* hpop, and garrett gt38 turbo, most noteable differences, the 49 state 94.5-97 obs has a 15* hpop and 90cc injectors, non intercooled, smaller turbo, the cali 97 model has 120cc split shots, and the e99 has 120cc split shots. nice lookin truck tho, very clean
Old 01-22-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351fifty View Post
the late 99-03 has 140cc split shots an intercooler, 17* hpop, and garrett gt38 turbo, most noteable differences, the 49 state 94.5-97 obs has a 15* hpop and 90cc injectors, non intercooled, smaller turbo, the cali 97 model has 120cc split shots, and the e99 has 120cc split shots. nice lookin truck tho, very clean

aside from some rust over rear wheels it is clean. i was able to re use my diy intake/filter from my 03. took about 10 min. the air filter was very dirty, but looking at turbo fins everything looked ok.

it looked less cluttered under hood than my 03 and took me a while to realize it didn't have intercooler. has a larger plastic cover though. i need to remove it and have a look. i didn't even look to see if this has same fuel bowl/filter assembly in behind oil pump.

i didn't know injectors were different size... it gets up n goes just fine though, so no biggie.

so far so good, i am happy with it.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:38 PM

now you just need to chip it lol
Old 01-22-2012, 12:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Very nice trade!!! I am jealous of your solid front axle!
Old 01-22-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351fifty View Post
now you just need to chip it lol

i don't know if it would have worked or not, but i had installed a chip and 6 position switch in my 03. i should have removed it when i sold it, but knowing my luck i woulda pulled or broke a pin in cpu and have to replace it. so i left it in.. bummer.. it really woke up that 03 in 75 hp setting... and increased fuel mileage by 2 mpg..

this truck has the original owners manual and window sticker! along with some other paper work, one piece shows it being at ford dealer to reflash computer as owner tried installing a chip... so, something must have gone wrong...
Old 01-22-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimline View Post
Very nice trade!!! I am jealous of your solid front axle!
it is like an abrams tank! but... even at 193,000 miles, suspension is still tight. my 03 needed sway bar and track bar bushings replaced.

i was surprised to see it has vacuum boosted brakes instead of hydro boost. thought all diesel were hydro boost..
Old 01-22-2012, 02:58 PM

how cool is that!!

just wish it had cruise control, anyone know whats involved in adding it?
Old 01-22-2012, 03:30 PM

one member just added swtches under the dash to add cruise, afaik you will need the clock spring, steering wheel, and possibly the pcm, but not 100% on that tho, but i got one of those too lol, got mine from the original owner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.