EBPV Solenoid malfunctioning, anyone selling one? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 02:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EBPV Solenoid malfunctioning, anyone selling one?

Ok I rebuilt my pedestal with new orings and replaced the ebpv actuator assembly with a new one. (99-03 style, i made a thread stating my findings with it fitting and sealing properly)

My issue is that even with the solenoid unplugged, the ebpv piston is still somehow recieving enough oil pressure to close my valve. I thought I had it working ok as I installed a switch but upon my first test with the truck cold (-10c) the solenoid closes. I have cleaned my ebpv tube and sensor before anyone mentions anything, even though it no longer matters because it is all bypassed and the solenoid is hooked up to a switch.

My findings are that if I start my truck cold the ebpv rod slides about half way out, I am assuming that once I step on the accelerator it closes the rest of the way. If I flip my toggle switch it will close the valve the rest of the way, but if I turn it off it will not recede back into the pedestal. Once I have driven the truck for about 3-4 km and it has warmed up a bit I can activate and deactivate the ebpv normally and it fully opens and closes as commanded.

My question is, has anyone had a solenoid fail or partially fail? I am under the impression the solenoid is supposed to default in the open/bypass position. Mine seems to not quite open fully or something. I am running 10w30 weight oil and its topped up nicely. I dont think I have an oil pressure issue however I do not have a gauge yet. Are there orings on the solenoid? I never removed mine when I rebuilt the pedestal. Stupid me, now I have to pull it again unless I can remove it in the truck? I dont think there is enough clearance to get it out though. I can remove the bolts but dont know if I can pull it out. I have the OBS pedestal with the solenoid at the back of the turbo.

I am perplexed by this. If someone has an idea as to how/why/what could be malfunctioning I would be greatful. If anyone has gutted there pedestal and has a working solenoid they kept I will gladly buy it from you!

Gutting it is my last resort, I really want this functioning for my cold weather starts and as an exhaust brake.

Cliffs:
-Solenoid faulty
-Can solenoid be rebuilt/ or new orings, if so where to get them
-anyone selling a solenoid??
-this ebpv makes me angry.

Thanks
Rob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2012, 05:19 PM

Why not just completely remove it?
Old 01-19-2012, 11:58 PM

I like using it in conjunction with my AIC to speed warmup in the -10-30c weather as well as an exhaust brake.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:26 PM

I am still looking for a solenoid if anyone has one!
Old 02-09-2012, 12:34 PM

I'll be taking my EBPV pedestal out probably this coming week. It will need to have new seals put in it. If you are interested, I'd sell it for $125 shipped.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:45 PM

Is that for the pedestal and solenoid? I really only need the solenoid. I can get a new solenoid for 210. I talked to guzzle today. It seems my solenoid functions fine with the engine warm. I can manually cycle the solenoid on and off without issue. It's only when the engine is cold that the solenoid actuates the ebpv even with the connection manually bypassed.

I think it's possibly one of three things. My orings on the solenoid are no good, the whole solenoid is bad, or I have some offshoot high oil pressure when my engine is cold. (gonna test that)

I talked to guzzle today and he doesn't know where I can get orings for an obs solenoid. Now I'm worried even with a used solenoid, I won't be able to replace the orings. I was told I can't measure mine as they will be swollen and not accurate to size.

I may have to just delete it now. I find it hard to justify 210 bucks plus shipping just for a make shift exhaust brake. I can't keep dumping money like this.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:37 PM

That is for the pedestal and the solenoid. The solenoid on mine works perfectly, the seals just need redone.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:04 PM

That sounds pretty good. By seals do you mean the solenoid seals, the actuator assembly, or pedestal orings?
Old 02-09-2012, 07:09 PM

The seals on the solenoid. You should change the pedestal o-rings any time you remove the pedestal.

Like I said, the solenoid worked before I unplugged it.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:39 AM

You can get a non-EBPV ped. from riffraff for $150
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.