New to Forum, Exhaust Question? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2012, 12:47 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to Forum, Exhaust Question?

Hello my name is Dex and I am new to Powerstroke.org

I have recently purchased a 97 F350 CC LB, and shes a gem. 128,000 miles, six inch lift with 37" tires. When I purchased the truck it came with a TS 6 position chip, 3" DP and 4" straight pipe (with muffler). I notice that alot of videos on youtube with poeple have the same exhaust as me but they get much more turbo whistle. Is this because the exhaust still has the muffler on it? I know this may come across as a rookie question but like I said I am new to diesels and turbo-d engines I came from a VW to this truck. Please, any input would be great I enjoy the 7.3's whistle and want more! I am addicted!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2012, 01:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Welcome and that's a very nice looking truck.I would say that the muffler is part of it. Also some of us like myself exit the exhaust in front of the rear tire, and others prefer stacks. The other thing that comes to mind is what does it have for a air filter. A filter setup like the 6637 will let you hear the turbo more. Like someone else said, I love the sound of my turbo trying to eat my 6637 filter
Old 01-16-2012, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

Glad to have you - to the ORG!

That's one of the cleanest OBS trucks I've seen - I think you have winner!!
Old 01-16-2012, 01:22 PM

Thanks for the reply. I enjoy where my exhaust is currently (behind the rear wheel). I think I will look into replacing the exhaust with just a 4" straight piping. Has anyone done a 4" down pipe aswell? or does that not do well with backpressure? I will take some more pictures and look into what intake I have. I should have it all uploaded by Saturday/Sunday.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:22 PM

Also, I see the term "OBS" thrown around alot, what does this stand for?
Old 01-16-2012, 01:33 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
that is a sweet rig bro, and obs means older body style, you should up the intake if you just have the factory airbox still, and going from any vw to a cclb 4x4 is a huge jump in vehicle size lol. good luck
Old 01-16-2012, 01:47 PM

Okay OBS makes sense. And I use to drive 25' Box Trucks so I am used to driving larger vehicles. As for the intake, I know its aftermarket. I have googled some intakes and based upon pictures I beleive I have the NAPA 6637. I do not have the truck infront of me at the moment so I am unable to snap some pics and check the filter. I do have many more questions and pictures to come. This seems like a pretty nice forumn I will definetly be back for updates.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:54 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
all questions are welcome, its always nice to learn more about these rigs, and do you still have the cat as well, mine whistles pretty good at about 5 lbs of boost, but hell everything about mine aside from the down pipe is stock as far as exhaust goes, but if you want a 4" down pipe its gonna require some firewall modifications lol
Old 01-16-2012, 01:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I don't know if there is still a 4" downpipe available I'm pretty sure there is a 3.5" but I really don't think you would gain much from it unless you plan to make big horsepower. The turbo creates all the back pressure this engine needs as turbo diesels don't really need it. Only thing you will miss from your VW is the gas mileage.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:06 PM
Premium Member

I believe that a 3" downpipe is only available, don't hold me to it. 3" isn't too bad to put in, just did one Saturday, 4" I think would be a nightmare. If you want turbo whistle put on a 6637 or equivelant and 5" straight piped exhaust, that is how mine is set up and I really enjoy it, nice deep tone and you can hear the turbo. That would mean getting new exhaust, which wouldn't really be worth imo, but it does give a nice whistle. I can't comment on whether 4" whistles good because I have only heard 4" with a resonator.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.