Is it worth it? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2012, 05:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to 95_Powerstroke
Is it worth it?

I love my truck but she definitely has a lot of problems, as would be expected from a retired farm truck with 345k miles. So my question to ya'll is this: would I be throwing money away if I were to repaint it and fix all of the mechanical issues with it etc or should I get like an ext or crew cab truck with less miles? I plan on doing intercooler, injectors, hpop, new tranny or a BTS valve body at the very least, exhaust (stacks or straight pipe, I haven't decided yet), D60 swap, replace some body panels and have it repainted, and restore the interior. Would I be wasting money by doing this to my current rig? Opinions are appreciated, thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2012, 09:16 AM

I guess it depends on what cab and bed setup you want. If it's a regular than you're not wasting it at all but if you want a crew cab go find a project truck and build it up right and just they way you want it to be
Old 01-14-2012, 11:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I did the samething reg cab 350 7.3 auto the way I look at it was a 20k truck or fix up a ol 7.3 better fuel milage then newer trucks more reliable not faster. Tho I spend 3 k on the body work but I replaced box fenders doors didn't try to fix things then had it painted comes down to 500 a month payments or 3 k a lil at a time and learn as u go
Old 01-14-2012, 12:02 PM

it's almost always less money to fix what you have vs buying something else, IF you are totally happy with the truck now. with body,paint and mods if you spent even 15k as a random number, you would have the truck you really want. could you get another truck that has all you want for the money you would spend? would you have to spend more money soon on the new one? used trucks are a crapshoot, we have all read the woes of others on the forums, but there are good trucks out there. good luck
Old 01-14-2012, 10:32 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
its not a bad idea to go ahead and find the cab u want, i sold a scsb to buy my ccsb
Old 01-15-2012, 05:42 AM

the cab is key. I never want to buy another regular cab unless it's as specialty work vehicle
Old 01-15-2012, 12:55 PM

i want either an 85 f350 regluar cab diesel 4x4 or ranger regular cab diesel 4x4, just as a round town kinda truck, not my showing off kinda thing, but it would have stacks
Old 01-15-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95_Powerstroke View Post
I love my truck but she definitely has a lot of problems, as would be expected from a retired farm truck with 345k miles. So my question to ya'll is this: would I be throwing money away if I were to repaint it and fix all of the mechanical issues with it etc or should I get like an ext or crew cab truck with less miles? I plan on doing intercooler, injectors, hpop, new tranny or a BTS valve body at the very least, exhaust (stacks or straight pipe, I haven't decided yet), D60 swap, replace some body panels and have it repainted, and restore the interior. Would I be wasting money by doing this to my current rig? Opinions are appreciated, thank you!
I spent $4k on a 1984 Ford F250 restoration. I wanted to learn mechanics and auto body and I did that indeed replacing nearly everything, or cleaning it up. I tried selling it on cl for $2000 for a while and it was a pain in the ***. Went to ebay and had 2 non paying bidders and then the other day I sold it for $910 or so. Essentially any truck you will lose you *** on it, but I know have knowledge that you can't put a price on.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351fifty View Post
i want either an 85 f350 regluar cab diesel 4x4 or ranger regular cab diesel 4x4, just as a round town kinda truck, not my showing off kinda thing, but it would have stacks
that in a crew with a PSD or cummins swap would be so BA. it's definitely the second best looking for body style
Old 01-15-2012, 05:12 PM

i think the 6.9 or idi 7.3 would be fine for me, not a race truck or big power or anything, just want a lil mall crawler or beach cruiser kinda thing lol, i already have my crew cab, i think it would be fun to get an old reg cab diesel for my old lady to drive to and from work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.