NEWBIE... Air Filter Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2012, 11:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
NEWBIE... Air Filter Question

ok so like the title says i need help with an air filter... so i have been poking around on other threads and keep seeing that everybody is pretty much running the NAPA 6637. and i havent yet really got a straight answer on why everybody chooses it over something like a K&N! or something to that nature! it seems like the K&N would flow more air which would give my truck more power. but can somebody tell me in detail why the 6637 and WHY NOT the K&N?

opinions are always welcome!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2012, 11:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Keep reading. The problem is that the K&N filter and others like it have a tendency to let a lot of dust through them even when properly maintained. If you look through a K&N even brand new and freshly oiled you can see a lot of pinholes in the gauze. These pinholes let a lot of dirt through on these engines because they flow so much air all the time (no throttle plate to stop air flow like a gas engine). A 6637 air filter IIRC has three times the amount of pleats than the K&N so there is a lot more filtering surface.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

Many say the 6637 filters better and some argue flows well because of its many pleated surfaces. Many say that while the K&N (or other oiled-cotton types) does flow lots of air the filtering isn't as good because of the turbo sucking air through it faster than a non-turbo engine would so it doesn't hold onto as much of the dirt.

Be prepared - You WILL get opinions on this topic.

So, while I'm here let me issue a WARNING. Address the question put before the membership, but don't go after another member who may not share your opinion. Sometimes these threads go south. The mods only let them go so far before they go away.
Thanks!
Old 01-13-2012, 12:06 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
the 6637/donaldson/fram ca 8037 are thicker, and while they do not allow as much air as fast as a k&n, they allow a hell of alot more than stock, but filter the air coming through much better than stock, and oiled filters like the k&n, because of the very high flow rate of the k&n and the less filtering will dust the turbo, and pit it, this is no good for a turbo because it just causes them to fail that much faster.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Dieselman View Post
Keep reading. The problem is that the K&N filter and others like it have a tendency to let a lot of dust through them even when properly maintained. If you look through a K&N even brand new and freshly oiled you can see a lot of pinholes in the gauze. These pinholes let a lot of dirt through on these engines because they flow so much air all the time (no throttle plate to stop air flow like a gas engine). A 6637 air filter IIRC has three times the amount of pleats than the K&N so there is a lot more filtering surface.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCrutyPS View Post
Many say the 6637 filters better and some argue flows well because of its many pleated surfaces. Many say that while the K&N (or other oiled-cotton types) does flow lots of air the filtering isn't as good because of the turbo sucking air through it faster than a non-turbo engine would so it doesn't hold onto as much of the dirt.

Be prepared - You WILL get opinions on this topic.

So, while I'm here let me issue a WARNING. Address the question put before the membership, but don't go after another member who may not share your opinion. Sometimes these threads go south. The mods only let them go so far before they go away.
Thanks!
so in turn even if the 6637 does not flow as much air as the K&N the 6637 is protecting your turbo which therfore gives you the same amount of power as a K&N? correct me if im wrong please.
sorry for the stupid question but im new to the diesel world and want to protect my investment just as much as anybody else..
Old 01-13-2012, 12:12 PM

the 6637 protects and is comparable to the k&n, but the k&n will out flow
Old 01-13-2012, 12:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351fifty View Post
the 6637 protects and is comparable to the k&n, but the k&n will out flow
Gotcha! that answers alot! im glad to know that the K&N's dont protect as well now! off the top of ur head how much does a 6637 cost?
Old 01-13-2012, 12:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I'm pretty sure that it has been proven that the 6637 will flow just as much as the K&N and even if it flowed slightly less the knowledge of the turbo lasting is well worth it IMO. I have pulled an repaired several turbo's for people that where running the K&N filters and it's a real PITA.

Last edited by 1Dieselman; 01-13-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:19 PM

anywhere from 35-67 is what people keep saying, i used the fram ca 8037, cost $20 so just shows im cheap, but the filter is almost exact same, its orange tho, and from what i have read, none of these are hydrophobic, thse tend to cost a bit more
Old 01-13-2012, 12:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Dieselman View Post
I'm pretty sure that it has been proven that the 6637 will flow just as much as the K&N and even if it flowed slightly less the knowledge of the turbo lasting is will worth it IMO. I have pulled an repaired several turbo's for people that where running the K&N filters and it's a real PITA.
yea i will definatly take the safety of my PSD now that i know the 6637. i would much rather be safe then run a K&N for more flow and be sry! only seems smart!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.