How to replace middle TTB U-joint? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 01-12-2012, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
How to replace middle TTB U-joint?

Should be getting the truck back tomorrow, and with a built trans and some power i gotta get the weak links fixed up. When i bought the truck we tore the front end apart, repacked wheel bearings, and replaced the shafts and u-joints cause the old ones were chewed up and in terrible shape. In snow i could put it in 4wd and the rear tires would spin before the front tires would move, and it was extremely jerky from the slack in the u-joints. Replacing the outer ones helped a bunch, but we still haven't touched the middle one. Dealer estimate was $3xx to split the front end and replace it.

So how in the heck can i get to it without splitting the front end apart, or is that the only option?

Jimmy
97 F-250 ECLB 7.3/E4OD/4wd, 216k miles: FFD 250/200%'s, stock turbo, built trans, e-fuel, Swamps IDM, shimmed 910's, Melling LPOP, welded cam gear/modified pick-up tube. Built and tuned by me

97 F-250 ECSB project truck:250/2's, Gen 3, S468, SD axles, studs/springs, ZF-6
post #2 of 7 Old 01-12-2012, 04:58 PM
Unpremium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I just did my center u-joint a few days back with a ball joint press, while the shaft was still in the truck. Should have took some pics, but it can be done. I had wheel, hub, caliper, rotor, knuckle, and the axle shaft out to the slip joint removed.

Good time to replace the ball joints if you didn't do that yet. Same tool does them.

~Bruce~
'95 F250 4x4 ECLB 295k - ZF5, Southbend, 4.10, van pedestal, EBPV & CCV delete, 1.0 ex housing, 3" DP, 4" exhaust, BFAF, 140v IDM, MagHytec diff cover, HD front springs, 16x8 alloys
'95 F-Superduty 4x2 CM 12' Flatbed 33k - E4OD, 5.13, Banks intercooler, van pedestal, EBPV & CCV delete, 1.0 ex housing, 3" DP, 4" exhaust, BFAF, PHP tunes, 6.0 fan, 140v IDM, TruCool, MagHytec diff/pan, Dieselsite external trans filter, Autometer gauges, 180w LED light bar
post #3 of 7 Old 01-12-2012, 05:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Don't the axels just pull out after you get the spindle off ?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
post #4 of 7 Old 01-12-2012, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

I think my ball joints are good for now, gotta check when the truck gets home. Which thats no biggie cause we've done it a couple times on different trucks. Just never messed with this center u-joint.

Jimmy
97 F-250 ECLB 7.3/E4OD/4wd, 216k miles: FFD 250/200%'s, stock turbo, built trans, e-fuel, Swamps IDM, shimmed 910's, Melling LPOP, welded cam gear/modified pick-up tube. Built and tuned by me

post #5 of 7 Old 01-12-2012, 05:31 PM
Unpremium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaddy View Post
Don't the axels just pull out after you get the spindle off ?
The last TTB front axle I did had a c-clip retaining the short shaft (inner) in the diff. Had to pull the diff to release it. They did this because of the slip joint on the passenger side shaft to keep the short shaft from pulling out of the diff.

Lots of people used to leave the clip off during reassembly, but added a valve spring into the slip joint to keep the short shaft pushed in the diff. Since I saw no spring when I disassembled my axle, I didn't want to mess with pulling the diff out. So I wrestled with the ball joint press to do this joint.

~Bruce~
'95 F250 4x4 ECLB 295k - ZF5, Southbend, 4.10, van pedestal, EBPV & CCV delete, 1.0 ex housing, 3" DP, 4" exhaust, BFAF, 140v IDM, MagHytec diff cover, HD front springs, 16x8 alloys
'95 F-Superduty 4x2 CM 12' Flatbed 33k - E4OD, 5.13, Banks intercooler, van pedestal, EBPV & CCV delete, 1.0 ex housing, 3" DP, 4" exhaust, BFAF, PHP tunes, 6.0 fan, 140v IDM, TruCool, MagHytec diff/pan, Dieselsite external trans filter, Autometer gauges, 180w LED light bar
post #6 of 7 Old 01-12-2012, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

I'll have to look in one of those little presses i guess.

Anybody ever just cut or torched the old u-joint out and slipped the new one in?

Jimmy

post #7 of 7 Old 01-13-2012, 07:43 AM

I still have that Kingpin Dana 60...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode