New OBS owner...I love this thing - 21.5 MPG! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2012, 09:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New OBS owner...I love this thing - 21.5 MPG!

Hey folks, just wanted to say thanks to all of you guys for taking the time to explain all the little things on these boards. I have learned a lot, and hope I can contribute sometime down the road.

I'm super pumped though on the MPG's with this truck (97 crew cab, 2wd short bed w/ 3.55's)...If Im good on the gas pedal and cruise at 65-67 mph on the highway I get 21.5 mpgs (Ive calculated over 3 tanks of fuel), which is awesome!

This truck has no mods, and yes I drive like an old man, but still thats pretty good, and I use the silver bottle of diesel additive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2012, 10:00 AM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
just imagine if you did the intake, down pipe, and straight pipe it, bet you could get up to atleast 24-26
Old 01-12-2012, 10:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Im probably gonna stay away from the intake, because in texas, and where I live, it is ridiculously dusty, and I've heard about some instances where that dust works its way into the turbo..

Where can I get the down pipe and straight pipe done? Is the down pipe a DIY thing. What would this typically cost?

Thanks and man, you got some great lookin trucks
Attached Thumbnails
New OBS owner...I love this thing - 21.5 MPG!-photo.jpg  
Old 01-12-2012, 10:11 AM

you can do them yourself actually, the down pipe i ordered from complete performance, cptrucks.com, and he can get you the straight pipe too, if your area is dustier than you would like i hpe you either keep running the stock filter not a replacement one, or if you do the diy filter just put aa dust cover over it, it will still open up better than that stock restrictive air box
Old 01-12-2012, 10:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Downpipe is about $100; the old flat-pancake one has to be cut to remove, and a minor body mod made.

What you've heard about the intake is probaby cf. the K&N, which is known to let too much through. The NAPA 6637 (or its Donaldson, Baldwin, etc. counterparts) is safe to use, and works in conjuction with the exhaust mods to really let the truck breathe.

Shoot, we get 21-22 bone stock and that's with a long bed 4x4. That's also with a 5-speed and 3.55s. Is yours an automatic? That'll cost a little in the MPG department.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:17 AM

ive hit 26 in my scsb 3" down pipe, diy intake, straight pipe stock diameter, and stacks with a race tune from my old edge
Old 01-12-2012, 10:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Downpipe is about $100; the old flat-pancake one has to be cut to remove, and a minor body mod made.

What you've heard about the intake is probaby cf. the K&N, which is known to let too much through. The NAPA 6637 (or its Donaldson, Baldwin, etc. counterparts) is safe to use, and works in conjuction with the exhaust mods to really let the truck breathe.

Shoot, we get 21-22 bone stock and that's with a long bed 4x4. That's also with a 5-speed and 3.55s. Is yours an automatic? That'll cost a little in the MPG department.
Mine is an automatic. What does cf mean?
Old 01-12-2012, 10:41 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Honestly i've heard of my turbo's getting dusted with the stock filter set-up than with the DIY intake. The stockers tend to leak pretty bad and let air in unfiltered, where as the 6637 only has the seal onto the pipe which isn't a problem at all.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD3020 View Post
Honestly i've heard of my turbo's getting dusted with the stock filter set-up than with the DIY intake. The stockers tend to leak pretty bad and let air in unfiltered, where as the 6637 only has the seal onto the pipe which isn't a problem at all.
You are correct. The stock airbox leaves a bit to be desired.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailerjack View Post
What does cf mean?
"In reference to" - proofreading shorthand, or some such...

And indeed, I've heard the same about the stock airbox, esp. given what a PITA it is to get the cover on straight (and how easy it could be to get it wrong).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.